What's new

screen waves, lines, etc. (1 Viewer)

Ryan LeSage

Auditioning
So my first post is a problem post. Go figure!

I've been having problems with my ht setup and figure somebody may have advise.

First off, I have a brand new Panasonic 32" HDTV, brand new Toshiba SD 4700 progressive scan DVD player with brand new AR component cables from Sears.

I'm getting the screen wave effect from my DVD player no matter what I use for a connection (component, s-video...).
But I get a few horizontal lines from the s-video and not component. We watched The Others last night and the brightness flickered a little in progressive scan mode(interlace does the same thing). May have been flickering between red tints and blue tints.

Tried moving anything and everything away from the TV, speakers, components, etc. Nothing...Tried unplugging everything but the TV and DVD player, still nothing. Tried plugging them into seperate outlets and still no fix.

Now, I noticed my PC moniter also flickers and its in another room. Do you think its possible the wiring in our house is bad? Or maybe I am just completely missing ht concepts...

Thanks for any advise.
Ryan

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a power problem. What kind of surge protector are you using on your components and computer? That plays a large part in quality. Think about investing in a good power surge protector, like on from Monster, that has a good power cleaner so to speak. You can get a good one from Monster for less than $50.
That sounds like the problem if it is happening throughout the house.

Ryan LeSage

Auditioning
Thanks for the advise. The surge protector brands are all over the board. They all cost about $15 to $20 each, nothing of high quality.

Well I guess its a good thing we are moving in 2 weeks. I still asked because I wanted to know if I am leaving this problem behind or taking it with me.

Do these types of power problems damage equipment?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
that i do not know, it does affect the performance of the equipment. Everyone knows about noise in cables affects picture, that is why people buy better cabling, it has better noise reduction and blocking. Think of your power lines as the same thing, there is actually TONS of noise and distortion coming through your power line, and some top of the line surge protectors and power conditioners block most of the noise, resulting in better performance. Monster has an amzing power conditioner for $200 that also has Coax protection, also a good one around $80.

Ryan LeSage

Auditioning
Well, I guess I'll pick up a quality surge protector and just wait it out till we move and see what happens.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks