What's new

Screen vs No Screen (1 Viewer)

Chuck_McCollum

Auditioning
I really didn't plan to start with a screen and am building my HT right now. To start, I was going to just project on a sheetrock wall and if I can't stand it, then buy a screen.

Is a screen an absolute necessity or can I do this without one?

If I can do it without one, how should I prep the wall? Should I use flat, semi-gloss, high gloss and how about white vs the ultra white paints?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck,

In answer to your overall question, no you don't need a screen ~ but...

It does improve the picture quality if you are using a lower lumen output model. This is because bought screens can gain up the luminance but a factor of .1 or more. Also, you could hide your center (even front left/right) speakers behind the screen.

I've been projecting on to a flat white plaster board wall for a while now, still haven't got the cash for a good screen. But a colleague has a nice Screen Technics 92" wide screen and his projector (SP5700 like mine) looks so much better.

Hope this helps,

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There are lots of ways to do DIY screens, so no you don't need to buy a pro screen, though you may desire one later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks