Screen Tests as DVD bonus

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Alejandro, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Alejandro

Alejandro Stunt Coordinator

For me, one of the more satisfying things about special editions (mainly of classics) is having the opportunity to see screen tests of actors who were up for a certain role. I've got a quite large collection of them on DVD, as dvd extras or within documentaries, for example the many tests taken by actresses for Hitchcock's Rebecca (Criterion Collection) or the Sharon Stone ones for Basic Instinct to name but a few. I think that you can learn many a thing of them, from how a film would have turn out have another actor take the role, to the level of faith producers/directors had to have to hire someone only by a test.
    I wonder if someone out there share this interest and which tests are the jewells of your own collections.

2. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

i have the collector's edition of gone with the wind and it's very interesting to see the screen tests of the actresses who tested for scarlett: joan bennett, paulette goddard, jean arthur, lana turner, even a young susan hayward.

3. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

I recall a test of James Brolin?!? as James Bond on one of the Bond discs. Horrible! I also recall the Theodore Bikel screen test from the Goldfinger disc. I'm intrigued by the tests of the actors that did NOT get the role, such as the ones above.

4. Alejandro

Alejandro Stunt Coordinator

There's another funny Brolin's screen test in the planet of the apes dvd. The test was to see the effect of makeup on Edward G. Robinson and it also starred Charlton Heston and a young James Brolin playing an ape! and he was very convincing [​IMG]

5. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Christopher Reeve's screen test on the "Superman" SE DVD is absolutely awesome. It shows clear and away why he was the best choice for the part.

Some of the other screen tests range from interesting to quite hilarious, including a clip from the screen test of then-well known Beverly Hills dentist Don Voyne in the Superman costume, reading against someone who looks a bit like Judd Hirsch reading for Luthor. The Lois Lane screen tests are equally interesting, as Holly Palance, Anne Archer, and Stockard Channing all give differing views of Lois - Stockard Channing's is the most unique, in my opinion, because she has the same attitude that made her portrayal of Rizzo in "Grease" so memorable. But we also see why Margot Kidder was the best Lois. And if you watch the screen tests, you can see how they form the basis for one of the missing scenes from Richard Donner's version of "Superman II".