Screen Spam is getting worse

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Scott-S, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I didn't think it was possible for the Networks use of Screen Spam to get worse. I was wrong. The newest assault on our screens is displaying the name of the program, full time, on the top left of the screen. I was attempting to watch the Sci-Fi channel today and could only watch about 1 minute. I had to give up and watch a DVD.

It was bad enough that the networks think we are so stupid we need to be reminded what channel we are watching at all time. Now, they must feel we need to be reminded of the name of the program. First the bottom left, now the top right of the screens are gone. There are 2 corners left. How about the temperature in one, and the stock prices on other?

2. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Shhhhh! Don't give them any ideas!

3. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I think what bothers me the most is how apathetic most viewers are. What will it take before viewers start to complain? I sent an email to BBC America about the pop-up adds for Footballers Wifes that covers 30% of the screen once every 10 minutes. They replied by saying:

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The worst one I ever saw was the insanely distracting and annoying "Family Guy" ad on "Arrested Development", but it resulted in a pretty good joke a few episodes later (a "Family Guy" animation popped up on a character's website and was described as annoying) so I can't really complain.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Most people don't care about TV enough to actually worry about a logo.

6. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I would think that anyone who hangs out here, cares about TV. [​IMG]

How would you like someone to come over to your house and spraypaint over 6% of your tv screen? That is what the networks are doing. Or how about cutting out the bottom 6% of the Mona Lisa?

It is all about covering up the image we are trying to see. Why not just place ad logos on-screen during movies?

Where do we draw the line?

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Roy, I totally hear you. I'm just saying that the majority of people (apparently here and the average person) just don't really seem that bothered by it. I'm sure they'd rather see the show without the logo but it seems like it's not something that really irritates them.

I didn't even realize how bad it had gotten. I have an HD feed to my TV, which only has the network logo, so it never got to me that much. I saw a rerun of Lost in standard def and was amazed by the amount of junk running across the screen for a show or local news, etc. If I had to watch that all the time, I'd be a little more aggrivated[​IMG]

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

It is very annoying. Even showing characters from other shows, dancing or otherwise moving, covering nearly half the screen for short periods of time.

9. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I really hate those new HUGE TV ratings. At least they're not there for long, but man all that TV junk is getting pretty bad, I agree.

10. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

It has gotten out of hand, maybe they know we are skipping commercials and this is their way of sticking it to us. "Won't watch out promos? We'll show you!"

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

And this attitude is part of the problem. Networks justify their actions by pointing out that other networks are doing the same thing rather than addressing the issue that all of this is extremely intrusive.

I agree that all this screen spam is driving me away from network (and now cable) TV. I much prefer watching a series on DVD. No spam and no commercials. The only problem is avoiding discussion about the current season before I view the set.

And in a related issue, some networks, like USA, have started running promos during shows that promote the show you're watching! It's getting to the point that you sometimes don't know if you're watching the show or a promo for that show. I don't need to see an ad for MONK during MONK!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I hate when the adds cover the recipe on a cooking show. (The one problem Alton brown cannot fix I suppose [​IMG] )

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

That's why they're doing it.

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I was one of the first HTF members to post about this odious problem back in '99. Now it has gone from continuous station-bug logos to all this unrestrained in-show advertising. And, of course, I now only watch PBS with any degree of seriousness.

At some time I think people will start complaining. Usually, things have to get drastic and out of hand to cause most people to take action on anything. So the networks and cable channels will keep pushing this until someone somewhere (perhaps in the government) says "enough!"

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I strongly think that it's time for the FCC to set limits on this, though it should fall under the "technical" rules and not under "content". Anything that stays onscreen for the duration of an ENTIRE show is simply unacceptable, and it disgusts me that it's been going on this long and apparently enough people are putting up with it. At the very least, the people behind the shows should be raising a fuss about it- I would not even want anything I shot to be shown on "America's Funniest Home Videos" with a network logo on it.

I read something regarding the FCC's reaction to product-placement in shows- apparently since a lot of people skip commercials now, they've been considering putting product placements in the actual show to compensate. Someone from the FCC commented that this might not be a good idea, as it would be hard for people to tell whether they're watching an actual show or a paid ad. As far as I'm concerned, any show with a continuous logo IS a continuous commercial break, as the logos intrude too much on the show for me to watch it.

I still haven't heard a single valid reason for this practice- knowing what channel you're watching is not so damned important that it warrants defacing every frame of the show! Digital cable and satellite systems even have their own onscreen displays that show the channel and show, which you can turn on and off, so that pretty much solves the problem there!

If I ran a network right now, I'd make a point of promoting that my shows were free of on-screen junk. A few years ago radio stations talked excessively over the music (this seems to have gotten better lately), so some stations started advertising "We respect the music, so we don't talk over it!"

Is there ANYONE still in the TV business who believes this is a bad idea?

16. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Welcome to the TIVO age. Only going to get worse IMO. Although, still not sure why they put the show name onscreen.

17. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

It's given me good reason to NOT get a Tivo or similar device though- what good does it do if you still have to watch the shows it records with the logos onscreen? I find those MORE intrusive than commercial interruptions, which have always been a necessary evil. I used to watch a lot of TV (and I always stayed tuned in even during the commercial breaks), but now watch NOTHING because of the logos- I don't even have an antenna hooked up to my VCRs anymore, and never bothered hooking it up to my DVD recorder when I got that, since there's nothing left worth recording anymore.

I probably would have bought an HDTV when broadcasting started too, but since they're ruining most of that with onscreen junk, I'm sticking with my standard-def set until the next-generation DVDs come out. If on-screen crap is the future of TV, I'll have no part of it. I don't know how bad it's going to have to get before more people give up entirely.

18. Kenny Neal

Kenny Neal Stunt Coordinator

Spike used to be the worst offender with lower-third junk, but I think Fox has taken the lead recently.

Like Jack said, PBS is the way to go...

19. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

Funny how they never do it over the commercials, however. [​IMG]

20. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I used the 6% figure because I was refering to the on-screen logo (bug). That is what I measured. You are right that the pop up ads are much worse. The Footballers Wives ad that comes up every 5 minutes on BBC America covers about 30% of the screen. It even covers up the text that comes up during "Cash in the Attic" that shows what an Item sold for.

Because of the non-caring nature of most viewers, this will only get worse. Pretty soon all channels will look like CNN with the actual program only on in 30% of the screen. This would be an improvement to me though because at least the picture I am wanting to see is un-cluttered. I can cover up the rest of the screen [​IMG]