Screen size/types

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ian>>, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Ian>>

Ian>> Auditioning

Good day all: First post to this forum. I have the Panasonic AE700U projector. Its great. I have to buy a screen and can get a great deal on a Draper Luma2 High Contrast Grey (HCG) 119" manual pull down, but... it is bigger than I really want, I need a 106" and I am not sure about the screen surface HCG. I sit 13 ft. from the screen with the projector just to my left at head level. Not much lens shift needed. IS THERE ANY DISADVANTAGE TO BUYING A SCREEN THAT IS BIGGER THAN NEEDED WHERE YOU MAY PROJECT AN IMAGE A FOOT SMALLER? IS HCG THE BEST SURFACE FOR A 1000 LUMEN LCD PROJ. IN A DARK ROOM? THANKS, IAN...

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

Ian
    A high contrast grey screen is to improve black levels.
    The grey screen will make the blacks look less grey and more black. You will loose some light on a grey screen as opposed to a white wall but LCD projectors are bright compared to the theater version to begin with.
    In terms of screen size that would be entirely up to you. Films come in different sizes so there's bound to be black bars and dark unlit areas always. I personally prefer to fill my entire screen and will quite often zoom in to fill my 16x9 screen. I just prefer at this time to frame the picture.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ian. Welcome to HTF!

I'm going to move your post over to the Display Devices fourm where lots of front-projector people hang out. You are likely to get lots of other people who have struggled with the same issues over there.