Screen Size Throw Distance?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by LeonDES, May 10, 2005.

1. LeonDES

LeonDES Extra

Hi all,

I am new to the home theater scene and have been looking all over for some good advice and tips. It looks like I have found the place.

I am planning to setup a projector in a room that is approximately 10 feet wide x 12 feet long. There is no windows in this room so lighting is not an issues.
    What would be the optimal size of the screen for this size of a room(16:9 aspect ratio).

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on wich projectors/screens would be best suited for this size of a room with a balance of $5,000USD.

Thanks in advance.

Leon

2. John S

John S Producer

Nice budget... I am not qualified in Projos of that high of an end to answer.

With that nice of a projector, I think you will only be limited by what you feel is to big. I'm thinking you gotta hit the 100" mark at least.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And with that question, the thread gets moved to Display Devices.

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Leon. FYI, only general discussion at the beginner level is permitted for the Basics area. For specific model recommendations, please ask your questions in the appropriate hardware-related area.

Best of luck.

4. LeonDES

LeonDES Extra

Hi John,

Would 100" be too big and cause the lines or pixelation to occur with the room being only 12 feet long? The projector most likley would take up a foot of that so I am thinking it will be ceiling mounted at about 10 feet from the screen.

I was thinking that the screen size would most likely be around 72" not sure though as I am a noob to all this. 100" would be great!!...

anyone else with some advice or tips??

Thanks,

Leon

P.S. sorry bout the location of my post Jack, I will make sure to post in the correct forum next time.

5. John S

John S Producer

On a $5000 projo??? You can generall be as close as you want without any fears of SDE and/or pixelation.

Projectors have come a long way.

I think you could nearly get away with it on a lowly Infocus 4805 at sub $1K price with a free screen!!!

$5K buys just a ton of Projector these days.

I feel a little bad even posting on this thread, I'm not currently a front projector user. I have installed / helped install 4 to date. 1 was an Optima, one 2 were 4805's, and one was a Panny 700.

There are some really truly knowledgable FP users/owners here, I am surprised they have not posted up on this thread.

The Panasonic 700 is the one I consider the best deal going right now. 100" at 10', no problemo for that one and it's under $2K.....

6. Howard Clarke

Leon,

I agree with John about your budget. $5000 will buy you a ton of PJ. Your biggest concern as far as I can tell (by the way I am no expert) is your limited throw/seating distance. "They" say that you should be sitting 1.5 to 2X the screen size away. At 2X that means a 60" picture. If you use the projection calculator over at projectorcentral.com @ 10' the Panasonic 700 will give you a 44" screen which would be a complete waste of a front PJ.

If I were you I would start at projectorcentral.com. There are user reviews for just about every model out there as well as the calculator to give you your image size. There are other models that will give you a larger screen at 10' like the Mits HU900 gets you to about 60".

Howard

7. John S

John S Producer

Oh yeah.. I was not referring to the throw distance by any means. I was only referring to the seating distance when I stated no problemo on 100" screen at 10'...

You should make sure that that any given projector will give you the screen size you want at the throw distance you need to use for sure.

Thanks a million Howard Clarke, I would of hated if he went out and got the Panny 700 and it not work for him.