What's new

Screen Size Problem with Philips 30pw850 (1 Viewer)

paulManos

Auditioning
I have a philips 30pw850 and I recently noticed that when I put the tv in widescreen mode, it cuts off a small amount of the left and right hand sides of the movie I am watching. However, this is the only picture setting in which I can watch widescreen dvd's with any reasonable picture quality. The picture by far looks the best like this, but I still cant get over the fact that it is horizontally over stretching the picture.

I have a denon dvd-1000 player, which is not progressive. I have it connected with component video. I have tried connecting it on both the av1 and av4 inputs, which are both component (av4 is component only), but notice no difference. I made sure the dvd player is set to 16:9 mode. I have the same problem with my playstation 2, which is hooked up on the other component input.

This isnt a major flaw; I only noticed it happening when text ran to the edge of the screen and I could not read it all. I have experimented with numerous dvd's of all widescreen proportions, anamorphic and not, and it seems to be consistent.

As of now, I am thinking this is a problem with the tv that I cannot fix. But if anyone knows anything about this issue, please let me know any suggestions. Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I bieleve this is normal overscan.
I mean even up to like 5% is considered somewhat normal.

A calibration should take care of it. This is usually done through pots on a board or through the service menu.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
This is pretty easy to adjust in the service menu. There's a remote code that gets you into the service menu. I can't remember it off the top of my head but I found it doing a search either here or at AVS. It's the same for most Philips tube tvs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks