Screen Shots

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shane Harg, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I see some of your websites with some neat screen shots of front projected images. What photographical techique is best for this? Can this be done effectively with a compact digital camera?

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I have taken pictures of screenshots on my rear projection HDTV and they came out like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I am not really happy with these pics. They are adequate in my opinion. My camera is a 2.3MP with no optical zoom. A tripod is a must, as well as a FREEZE function on the tv/projector works best. But I think one thing a read is that a camera with variable shutter speed really helps.

I'm sure there will be more people chiming is as some people have great screen shots.

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Here is probably my best screen shot....camera is a 5 MP Canon G5 on a tripod, frozen screen of course. Also, the camera is set on widest aperture with shutter speed on auto. The camera basically determines which shutter speed is best and takes the shot. I also used the remote for it..can't have motion of pressing the shutter release to mess up the picture.

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41bc863d...4HIjEBd5xhI2Ou

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    There is no way to take a picture of your HT and get a decent image on the screen in one step. In fact, there is really no way to photograph a screen or projected image and have it look the way it looks in person. Trust me, this is what I do for a living. The only way to get everything to look truly good is to do them separately but shooting the HT with a blank screen, capturing the stills directly from a DVD and patching them together. I know people might want to have a shot of "what it really looks like" but it isn't possible. The image will always look bad to awful and make your HT look bad.

I did the animation for Robert Fowkes HT, which you can see HERE, and did it the way I recommend. It takes some work and you have to know how to correctly fit the still to the screen if you want it to look completely realistic. Don't just crop it to fit.