What's new

Screen Removal and Refocus on Hitachi 57S715 (1 Viewer)

JeffKC

Grip
Any info on this specific model would be appreciated. I ordered a manual on CD..but it will be a few daze before it shows....Will removing the screen justify keeping this unit instead of replacing it with a 57X500...reflection is my main concern with this TV...My older CU4600B has no reflection...and no protective screen...I purchased it back in 1988..still enjoy watching it....probably needs a cleaning however....thanks for any input....

new member..Hey..I like this place.

Doug Z

Stunt Coordinator
My 57x has very minimal reflections and is right beside a sliding glass door, the screen on this set works well. Sent you a PM.

matt-f

Second Unit
To my knowledge, taking the screen off won't justify it. Also speaking to Hitachi, the screen isn't removable since it's a one piece screen/sheild design.

The X500 series has Hitachi's top CRT guns and also has the Deep Black Sheild (it too is one piece). You can eventually ISF calibrate to really see the good side of how the set can do.

matt

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
you need to remove the glare screen, it will definitely be worth it (barring small children and drunken adults)

Regards

Gregg

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I'm probably going to remove the screen from my 57S715, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I watch mostly at night so I'm not that motivated.

JeffKC

Grip
Removed screen today....everything went well until I realized I only had 3/8th foam stripping to use..used it anyway..result....shimmed up both sides and did not shim top or bottom...

Results are all I expected...lookes more like my older 4600B with out the glare screen...nice warm picture..no glare..I turned on 5 lamps an overhead and a rear right overhead..one lamp is directly in line behind my seat....no reflection....
Fantastic picture.

Now for the bad news..I have to pull the screen again and reshim...evidently the 3/8th stuff I used is allowing light
emitted from the sides of the screen surround....I'm getting a green lite on the left and a yellow on the right....slightly curving from the to to bottom ...like a convex lens from the side...not really noticable on bright scenes but..very on darker scenes..a slight gap between the screen and or the trim..not sure which yet....

Took some internal digital pictures and pictures of the screen
trim..etc. I'll post these for reference soon as I get evrything squared away....

Back to work.....Focus seems fine....I have not used the magic focus option yet....

Heinz W

Second Unit
I'd be interested to know if anyone has removed the shield from a 51S715, the model I have. I know that on the 57" the TV itself separates for easier transporting and might therefore make shield removal easier than on it's smaller counterpart, which doesn't separate.

On my set it looks like I would have to pry the entire bezel off! :frowning:

I had this set for a month now and love it. Let's just say watching football in hi-def is absolutely awesome! Getting hi-def programming FOR FREE over-the-air is absolutely awesome! As my first digital TV I'm was also amazed at how good DVDs can look at 480p/540p. One 'bad' side-effect of owning an HDTV is the fact that now I'm actively lusting for BluRay/HD-DVD to get here already! :D

It's a great set but the shield has to go! JeffKC, since you did yours successfully can you tell me more about how you did it? It would be duly appreciated.

matt-f

Second Unit
JeffKC:

Just curious about your screen/sheild because it seems to be a one-piece. Did you have to like cut the middle to seperate them?

matt

JeffKC

Grip
No...The protective glare screen is separate from the others..

Not sure about the 51..screen removal....pull off the lower front and investigate...

JeffKC

Grip
HeinzW

remove the lower front facia...remove the two outer trim pieces on each side of the front control panel..I think there are about 8 screws....remove the 2 screw holding the magic focus box on the left side upper....just below the screen a little...there are 4 plug in's ..un-snap the magic focus connections.... Remove all the screws on the upper edge of cabinet..just behind the trim and down an inch or so...and the sides...4 each side ...make sure you keep the trim piece pressed forward so it does not fall out....should be able to pull it back away from the TV cabinet if all screws are removed...lower the screen and trim assembly to the floor just in front of the TV...support it...a helper would be nice but if you are careful you can do it yourself....I laid the assembly on my coffeee table on a sheet....face down....you will see the trim pieces and the magic focus mirrors attached around the sides...remove the screws..make sure the trim is supported ....lift screens out....I sat mine on edge net to the coffee table..against the sheet..then remove the glare screen..set it aside...lay the remaining screens back in..be sure they face the way you removed them....I shimmed between the outter trimclamps....use 1/4" weather stripping..all around.....good luck..if you can wait a day or so I will post the pictures I took...hope this helps..be careful...
Picture will please you..I bet...plus it's a lot cheaper than returning and getting an 57X500..which was my next resort....

matt-f

Second Unit
JeffKC,

Thanks, so it they are in two pieces physically.

I know my Hitachi 57TWX20B is a one piece screen/shield (Deep Black Sheild) because I saw it for myself as was it was replaced under warrenty due to an impurity in the screen itself.

Before it had to be replaced the repair guy, attempted to get what looked like a piece of dirt on the other side of the screen/sheild but to no luck. When it was discovered that it was inside the screen, he physcially used a box cutter to partially phsically split it into two pieces. It was after that it was discovered it was in the screen itself.

The TV is very identical to the X500 except mine is a previous generation so it has WideNeck CRT I guns.

matt

JeffKC

Grip
I would almost bet the screens are not glued together..just taped...on the edges..but maybe they are glued at the edges..seems like the glue would FUBAR the picture...I would also bet good money that the Deep Black Screen is the same as every other Hitachi..Thinking they just don't cover it up with the crappy anti reflection screen..I could be wrong..I have been before..Just that my 16 year old CU4600B UltraVision has a blackish purple screen..no reflection on it....looks alot like the one on the S715 now that the glare screen is history....By the way I made a few corrections to my earlier post about removal..the side screws..4 each side need to come out as well..and the magic focus connections can be done before removing the screen to save a precarious situation....

matt-f

Second Unit
Hi Jeff,

The DBS is an exclusive type screen/sheild used in their top RPTV sets. It's unlike the regular sheilds which are so reflective which you notice on your S715 before you took it off. The DBS does have the nice deep purple look (should be really called Deep Purple Sheild he he) which leads to me, that your old Hitachi has it.

I asked Hitachi as well if the DBS can be purchased to be "implemented" into other sets and they said no. I wonder if this can be proven wrong if someone were to purchase the it and try it!

I've also spoken to one person who had their Hitachi X500 TV ISF calibrated and the calibrator did not recommend the screen removal for the DBS which is on the set.

Here is the info from Hitachi in the brouchures.

matt

Heinz W

Second Unit
JeffKC, thanks a million for that detailed post. I printed it out for future use. Would be curious to see your pictures. Did this process damage the appearance of the set at all? Also, I will need shimming material 1/4" thick to make up for the loss of the shield around the perimeter of the screen allowing everything to fit back together nice and neat correct?

One last thing, does shield removal void the warranty? If so, I'll wait until mine runs out.

Thanks again Jeff, very helpful post! :emoji_thumbsup:

JeffKC

Grip
Update on the shimming effort..I ended up removing the foam..putting the frametrimscreen assembly back as was, minus the glare screen. After puttng it all back together I used some
black insulated wire..about a 12-14 gauge to shim the gap were the anti reflective screen was...once the frame for the screen is back on the TV you will notice a gap about the same size as the removed screen....I pressed the insulated wire in this gap.....I tried some larger gauge on the top and bottom gaps but did not have the correct size..I do not have the lite emitting from the sides as it did when I had the foam stripping installed..I was a bit confused as to were the foam went and may have misplaced it..The result I have now is much better...I don't see how the lack of the reflective screen could cause the other screens to bow or sag as they were seperated by an 1/8" or so....hope I have not confused anyone..My picture is were I want it to be now...

As for the Deep Black Screen...My older 4600B had no protective screen....as a matter of fact it came with a cleaning pad and fluid ..the pad was inserted in to an oak handle...I only used it once or twice...the TV survived my son...he was about 7 when I first bought that set home...

I have heard that this voids the warranty....

matt-f

Second Unit
JeffKC,

Very interesting. Just curious, do you still own this set? Maybe you can take a pic of the your own Hitachi just to see for myself to see if it looks like the same one.

matt

JeffKC

Grip
I have some pictures at imagestation..I will need a name and e-mail addy..to invite anyone interested to see these....I would post links but ImageStation is not link freindly...not the best quality but you'll get the picture,just got a Canon video cam and still experimenting with settings...I'll try a link to see if anyone can see the pic....Well looks like I must have 15 posts here to post url's..so..I can e mail you a link....

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the DBS thing is marketing BS...like I posted before, I always recommend removing the antiglare (which actually creates glare).

On the new Hitachi models, the glare screen is somewhat harder to remove, however it is not in a 3 screen stack like previous models. This means that there is no seal tape around the edges AND that the glare screen is not glued to the lenticular screen so in some ways it is easier to remove.

If you have an older style Hitachi, be very careful when seperating the glare screen from the screen stack. If you apply any pressure along the grain of the lenticular screen you will cause the lenticular screen to rip.

Also as somebody has posted before, if you are not a tech, removing the glare screen in this manner will most likely void your warranty.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

matt-f

Second Unit
Gregg,

I have not experienced glare issues with my Hitachi 57TWX which uses the DBS. Have you done any sheild removal on the Hitachi which have DBS? I ask because of the ISF calibrator who did not recommend the screen removal (DBS) on an X500 owner's set, while the calibrator did everything else.

I do agree with the screen removal for anohter TV, like my Panasonic RPTV because it really glares by definately giving off the water look.

matt

Users who are viewing this thread