Screen questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter.LeBlond, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Peter.LeBlond

I am going to be moving into a new place soon and have a BR I'm going to turn into my theater. Its around 15 x 13 (haven't actually measured it yet) and I want to have my viewing surface on the short wall.

I don't even have my projector yet, I'm getting a Plus Piano next month. All the reviews have said that since its a lower powered projector, that 80" is all you are gonna get out of it and that puts the projector at a throw distance of about 10.5'. I will be able to completly black out the one window in the room and so there will be pretty much no other light except for the LED's on my equipment in the room. Is there any chance that I can throw the full 15' from the rear wall? Plus says the projector can operate from 4' to 22' with a maximum screen size of 200", so I'm thinking maybe I can get away with 15' (14' really because you are supposed to measure from the lens not the back wall...)

Second item. I will be setting it up and using it at least for a few weeks projecting against a bare wall. What color should I paint it? Is there a standard gray color which will help produce better blacks? Can I get the picture to look brighter with a lighter color? I've gotten mixed opinions from reviews I've read where they say do or don't use the gray screens, and one reviewer said he got better results with this projector calibrating against a gray wall than his screen. I saw it demo'd with a Da-Lite 92" screen and the dealer said it had a gain of 1.3. What is the gain of a wall?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, especially from any Piano owners...

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Yes, a gray paint will help produce better blacks. For awhile, I used paint colormatched to Dalite's High Contrast DaMat material (0.8 gain). The picture will definitely look brighter on a lighter color though.

The problem with asking these things is individual tastes vary. Once you normalize for ambient light, screen size, projector type, calibration, and bulb type, you still have to deal with personal tastes. For some people, accurate colors are most important, for others, there's absolute detail. Others are blackaholics who must have the deepest absolute black levels, while some like the brightest, punchiest, most 3-d picture they can get.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell you what the gain of your specific wall is without measuring it.

Personally, I'd suggest getting a sample piece (they send up to 8" x 12" samples) of Dalite's High Contrast Damat, as well as Stewart's Grayhawk and try both of them. Pick the one you want and take it to home depot and get it colormatched. Later, when you decide to get a screen, you can always pick up the one you want (or demo a Firehawk).