What's new

Screen position (1 Viewer)

russell>b

Auditioning
ok so I've got a 16ft x 13ft room and planning to put in an 1046mm x 1860mm (thats 6.1ft) or 84inch diagonal

as it's 12ft to the viewing point as I understand the width should be no more that 1/2 the closest seat.

Now whats everyones experience with screen placement ... higher up towards the roof or 1/2 way down the wall. is it uncomfotable for long periods if the screen is not in the middle of the wall and is elevated ?

thanks

Tim Bargar

Agent
The height of your head when seated should be at approximately the lower 1/3 point of the screen. So if your head height is 40" off the floor and the screen is 48" tall, then the screen bottom should be about 24" off the floor. But that is if you're looking straight ahead. If you lean back in a recliner while watching the movie, a little higher might be better.

russell>b

Auditioning
I would like to thank everyone for there replies ... this has helped

ceiling is normal height ..... not sure exactly, at the moment screen top is about 6" below ceiling top

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
That's a pretty small screen. In the absence of projection artifacts, most of us like to be at about 1.5 screen widths. IOW I use a 87x49" screen (100" diagonal) with seating at 11', and would consider 96" wide or 110" diagonal would be more appropriate for 12'.

You really need to live with the specific projector you intend to use for a while to see what works for you.

Curt Luther

Stunt Coordinator
Drew....
What type of projector do you have? I just ordered a Sanyo Z2 tonight and I am thinking about a 100" screen as well. I will have three rows of seats 8'- 11' - and 14'. I wasn't sure if that is too big. I don't want screen door.

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Russell, my viewing distance is also about 11-12' from the screen and mine is 98" diagonal so I'd recommend one alittle bigger than 84", which is what mine started off as being. The size seems perfect to me. If I move any closer I can start to notice the imperfections like the screen door effect my projector gives off. The top of the viewing portion(not including border) of my screen is roughly 7" from the ceiling, which is about 8' high. Like Tim mentioned, this puts the viewers head in the 1/3 area of the screen, maybe alittle lower. I think that slight tilt of the head up adds to the theater experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks