Screen Painted On Wall

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DanielKellmii, May 1, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Has anybody ever painted there screen on there wall? I was thinking of having this done. I am re-doing my living room, and just got the tacit approval from my wife for an IB sub and thought that a projector would be great. I would only use if for movies, so the ol' tv would stay. I thought that I would paint rectangles on both sides of the room of the same color, one being reflective and the other just standard paint.

I was going to get a crt RPTV, but the wife wants something with more style. For the money, and the fact that I would only use if for DVDs, I don't think that a FP can be beat.

Maybe this is more of a DIY question, but I hate painting, so I would hire somebody for this.

2. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

If your wall isn't textured, then use a Glossy-White. Otherwise use a Flat-White.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It might help to know what projector you are getting as far as which paint colour/material to use but by all means, you can paint the wall and frame around it with a black border of your choosing... very practical and cheap to do, plus it looks good if done right.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I painted a screen on my wall for my X1. IT was slightly textured, so i used flat Behr 'ultra pure white'. Didnt wanna bother with anything too fancy with mixing colors and stuff. I have never done some real painting before, so this was really my first time doing some serious painting, but it turned out very nice.

Though its not perfect, it turned out okay. I used the basic rollers that came with the cheap paint-rolling set, but i didnt get very good results. So the final coat, after sanding down lightly with 240grit sandpaper, i went out and bought a high-quality 1/4" roller, and it went on very smoothly.

It turned out great. I dont have a border yet though.

Very cheap, easy, and quick too, i started painting at around 11am, and i was watching a movie by that night.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Not sure where the glossy white recommendation came from! bad idea.

IF your wall is textured, find a way to untexture it. You can't have a quality screen on a textured wall, you need a flat surface. A sheet of something like sheetrock would do great. Or pain a peice of blackout cloth, or just use the blackout cloth. A flat white is a good place to start. Glossy paints will look like crap with all the hotspotting.

6. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

I used a matt white paint, looks quite good and Im very happy with it.

7. DanielKellmii

Hopefully one that will allow this to work. I forgot to mention something very important. Even when I close the blinds, the room will still be bright. Think of what it looks like under a large shady tree, minus the leaking sun light, and you have my family room. I have lots of windows. It makes for a beautiful sunny room, but for this, I might have a problem. Eventually, I will add some curtains to my vertical blinds. I will start with new verticals and a borrowed projector before I make any final decisions on what I am going to end up with.

My wall is not textured, unless you count to gouges my small children have put in them.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have to add that if you are going to be using paint, you might also want to consider a product called "Floetrol". Mix a little of this into your paint if you are going to apply with a roller. It will make the paint act like an oil-based paint and be applied without streaks.

9. DanielKellmii

Thanks.
    Are there any products out there specifically made for this? Is there something to add that increases the reflectivity?

To those experienced with this, is a real screen a lot better with all other things being equal.

I have plenty of room to hang a screen, I just thought that this would give an interesting look to the room and some additional "wow" factor.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Goo is a product specifically designed for roll or spray-on application, and it has a higher gain than just the about 1 gain or less of flat matte white.

11. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

Your statement isn't true...If your wall is textured and has a coat of flat-paint, you will not see any texture what so ever and WILL be able to display a great picture. If you have a non-textured wall, a glossy will help a little with ambiant light. I'm assuming that this isn't a dedicated HT room with controled lighting.

What you don't want to do is have texture and a glossy coat. Then light will start to "bounce" around the textures and create this sparkle effect. I've had all thats stated above, you'll be fine.

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I disagree, a textured wall surface is bad for a *quality* screen. You can have a screen on an off-white wall too, but that doesn't make it *quality*. Texture is extremely distracting, especially in video that is so full of motion. Glossy paints are also a poor choice due to hotspotting. Light gloss-type screens can be effective, but you do have to be careful with the hotspotting.

13. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If you want the colormatch numbers from Home Depot for a Dalite High Contrast DaMat screen, I have em.

14. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

Definitely worth the extra couple of bucks to get a better roller - my wife and I have painted more walls than Michaelangelo, and if you want a nice finish, you need a decent roller. Seriously, you should do it yourself rather than pay someone -just painting a rectangle on a flat wall will take you about 20 mins - and that's with a break for a cold one. I'd say mark out the rectangle you want with a tape measure, a level, and a pencil, tape it off with some masking tape so you don't go over the edges, and roll away. Then repeat. The nice thing about painting is that if you do get an uncleanable, kid-induced mark on it, you can just repaint.

My no-experience take on the texture thing - I'll bet it would be more distracting for someone watching from a side-angle, where the relief pattern might be noticeable.

15. DanielKellmii

I will go with the better roller. I would end up buying it anyways. That is just how things work.

I have no texture, so that isn't relevant to me. Somebody may want to start another thread for that topic.

Gabriel, thanks, I'll remember that.