What's new

Screen Height (1 Viewer)

Gary Hunter

Agent
I'm nearly to the phase of mounting the screen to the front wall. I have a 110" diag, which is around a 56" height. The wall is 9' plus a 12" soffit. What is the suggested mounting location for the screen.

Thanks,

Gary

JeromeB

Agent
Gentlemen,

Any additional advice on screen size? Do you agree with a recommended seating position of about 2x screen height? I am planning a HT, in a multipurpose room (room is 20’ long x 15 wide, height 7’ 10”, with good control of ambient light) using a DLP projector. I am thinking of a seating distance of about 14 feet from the screen. Am I too ambitious to shoot for a screen size of 110” (8’ wide, 4.5’ tall).

Actually my real issue is that I plan on primarily watching old movies and DVDs. I suspect I am going to be in trouble when trying to display poor VHS data set on a high resolution system. Am I being silly in trying to go front projector, and should I instead punt for a plasma screen?

I’m a neophyte and find this advanced forum akin to taking a drink from a fire hose, but nonetheless any info you provide is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Jerome

2.5-3x screen height is my recommendation with HDTV resolution. I believe with a 1280x720 projector we are just achieving that point. Having a 110" screen is not too ambitious, but it's close, really close for you. I may recommend you to do a 106". I'm about 15 feet back on my 110", and its pretty big using a 1280x720 projector. Thankfully I can't see pixels.

If you go below the 1280x720 resolution, decrease your screen size to 4-5 times screen height, even 6-8 if its a low rez. 800x480 LCD.

You don't want to see the breakup of the image. You'll loose the sense of 3-D if you sit too close without the appropriate resolution.

Regards,
Michael

JeromeB

Agent
Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I have a question regarding the placement of the ceiling mounted projector. If you have the choice based on projector/lens combination, should the projector be in front, at, or behind your seating location.

I am interested in getting the best picture possible at about the 4-6K price point. The BenQ PE8710 looks pretty sweet. However using the projector calculator at prjectorcentral I would need to mount the projector overhead just above or in front of the seating distance. I am wondering whether it is preferable to have a projector mounted behind the seating position so that it is not visible or distracting.

I do not think projector noise is an issue as most projectors at the 5K price point are very quiet (

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator
Michael

for an 800 x 480 LCD you recommend 6-8 times? For a 106" screen that would be a 50 foot to 80 foot seating distance. What would be the point of a projector at that distance? Not to mention I don't know to many people with a house that is 50 - 80 feet long let alone a HT room.

If I am misreading the distance you suggested then I apologize.

I use a 800 by 600 LCD right now at seating distance of 1.5x screen size and SDE isn't really a factor for me (and I do use an HD Digital box). I know ideally I would have liked about 2x the distance but in my room setup it wasn't really an option. IMO

cheers,

Zoran

Jason D.

Agent
Actually, I'm not sure where all these posts about using the screen height came from, but the recommended seating distance is 2 times the screen WIDTH ---- NOT height. So, If for example you have a 106" screen (which is the diag measurement---such as stated above) the width of that screen in 16:9 format is 92"....and 2x that distance is 184" which would put the ideal seating at just over 15' from the screen. Here's a general rule of thumb that will work in 95% of the cases.....don't be closer than 1.85 times with WIDTH of the screen or you will begin seeing more and more screen-door effects and other artifacts. Good luck!

-Jason

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I'm at 1.85 times screen width (14') with a 104" diagonal screen(91" width). The ptojectors a Sanyo Z2 with a resolution of 1280x720 and the picture is fantastic. No screen door at all. I can get as clse at 7 or 8 ft before seeing screen door.

JeromeB

Agent
Thank you for all the advice. Projector central has a nice article on recommended screen size, outlining many of the points people have described in this thread; main page under projector reviews: "08/20/03 - How big should your home theater screen be?"

Question: In trying to optimize picture quality, any thoughts on which projector type is better: DLP vs. LCD. Is a three chip LCD better than a single chip (HD2+) DLP? Since there is a color wheel with the DLP, is this projector more likely to cause headaches related to color shift/rainbow effect?

Thanks for the help.
-jb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks