What's new

Screen goes blank intermittently (1 Viewer)

michael2012

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Abt
Good day to all:
I just purchased a new Sony KDL-55HX850. As I watch the screen it suddenly goes blank (goes to blue screen when watching Direct TV - goes to black screen when watching BD) but returns to normal within 3 to 7 seconds. The set is fine as I am able to go to the HOME screen and see the HDMI feed inset in the screen. The inset screen goes blank yet the HOME screen stays visable with no changes.
Regarding my setup: I have a Pre-HDMI Reciever so I carry all of HDMI input to a small powered HDMI Switch (4 ins - 1 out). In this configuration I used to run the single output to my old Toshiba CRT-style HDTV through a 4' HDMI lead. Now that I have the new Sony, that single output runs through a 30 ft long HDMI lead (purchased at Monoprice - specifically designed for the long length) across the room to the new set.
The switch is an HDMI Ver. 1.3 that is about 4 years old. I have had some problems with the "handshake" when switching between devices in the old confiruration and would solve by shutting down the TV and re-starting it. So the switch has never been the most reliable part of the configuration.
The questions I have are: 1) is the length the issue that can't be solved? 2) would making the jump to a new receiver that supports HDMI heal all problems? 3) can I simply place an HDMI booster or amplifier in line to the new Sony?
Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think the main issue is the switch isn't stable at 1080P. Even is you aren't sending 1080P...if the signal is flaky for the BD player, that still affects the Directv.
An AVR will more than likely solve the problem.
Besides, LG and Sony(in my experience) don't like anything between the source and itself...not even HDMI extenders over CAT....which aren't even supposed to make a difference.
I used to work for a wholesaler and we sold Vanco switches/extenders etc...
Anytime the extenders didn't work, my first question was always...
"Is this a LG or Sony?" 90% of the time the response was...
"Uhm, yeah, how did you know?"

michael2012

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Abt
Sam,
I appreciate the feedback. Thought I might need the HDMI AVR. I have planned to make that jump anyway. I assume that the TV does not see an AVR as being between the source and itself although it truly would. Am looking at an Onkyo AVR. I have a Poineer Elite that is 11 years old w/o HDMI connectivity.
If I purchased an AVR other than Sony would I be at risk of seeing a similar issues? I assume not but thought I would ask.
I think my next step will be to disconnect the feeds to the switch and run device directly to the feed to the TV with a male/male HDMI connector. Will do this just to elimibate the 30' cable as the culprit.
Thanks again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your AVR, no matter which brand, will be viewed by the TV as a source.
Their handshake will be...
"Hi, I'm a Sony, and you are?"
"I'm X brand, and there is a BD, Directv etc connected to me."
"OK, nice to make your acquaintance."
Just make sure EVERYTHING is turned off and unplugged from the wall and you plug them into the wall...
1. AVR
2. The sources(you don't need to unplug Directv from the wall)
3. TV
And then it doesn't matter how you turn them on...as long as the TV is last.

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Sam,

Thanks again.
I did purchase a female/female HDMI coupler and removed the HDMI Switch from the path.
Connecting to each manually I have been able to prove your theory. The switch is the culprit.

I am now planning a receiver purchase.
Appreciate your input.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks