Screen Gems Color Series - What's Still in the Vault

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Michael Alden, May 22, 2006.

1. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Let's just concentrate on the shows that are in color or at least had color seasons because thus far Sony has shown no indication of being interested in their black and white shows.

Camp Runamuck
    Wackiest Ship in the Army
    Love on a Rooftop
    Hawk
    Empire
    Iron Horse
    Occasional Wife
    Second Hundred Years
    The Outcasts
    Ugliest Girl in Town
    Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
    Nancy
    The Young Rebels
    The Interns
    Getting Together
    Temperatures Rising
    The Paul Lynde Show
    Bridget Loves Bernie
    Needles and Pins
    Ghost Story
    Police Story
    Girl With Something Extra
    Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice
    Nakia

and The Farmer's Daughter which had 2 black and white seasons and one in color. Many of the single season shows were very good and were cancelled for stupid reasons, like Bridget Loves Bernie that finished number 5 for the year but CBS caved in to pressure from religious groups. Hey, let's just hope Sony keeps cranking those Screen Gems shows out.

2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

Well I don't think that's 100% true: they released the 1st two seasons of Bewitched and the first one of I Dream of Jeannie in B&W. They could have just put them out in color if they'd wanted. And Hazel Season One is coming August 1st. While their early emphasis was clearly on the 70's sitcoms, they're definitely picking up speed on the early 60's shows now.

3. Michael Alden

All of which turned to color by their second season (or in the case of Bewitched, 3rd season). Thus far they have not put out one show that never had a color season.

4. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Sony's TV on DVD catalog also skews a bit more towards comedies, so that may provide a clue as to future possibilities.

5. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Considering my great fondness for 50's-60's westerns, I'd love to see "The Iron Horse" (1966-1968, 47 episodes) released on DVD. Dale Robertson's Ben Calhoun wins an unfinished railroad in a poker game and he and a pre "Sixth Sense" Gary Collins endure the wrath of Indians and crooked bankers to see the line completed.

"The Young Rebels" appeals to me for the simple reason that it's set in the year 1777. Unfortunately, with only 15 episodes, this is a long shot indeed.

6. Michael Alden

Although Sony is the studio that's not afraid of short-run series, as evidence by the release of Tabitha and Walking Tall. So I guess you have to hope for a Young Rebels movie to be made.

7. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I saw Iron Horse when it was rerun on CBN Cable in the early 1980s. It was one of the weaker western series from the 1960s, so you aren't missing much!

8. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

The likelihood of seeing any of those shows again is incredibly remote; why put the flops of yesteryear on dvd??

9. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Burns and Allen
    Father Knows Best
    Donna Reed Show.
    Dennis the Menace

But these were all black and white and would probably only be released colorized.

10. Michael Alden

Because,
    1) Most flops of yesterday are still better than most of today's shows.

2) They seem to have no trouble releasing the flops of today.

3) A flop in the 3 network universe of the 60s and 70s had 5 to 10 times the viewership as a hit does today.

4) Just because a show flopped didn't mean it wasn't a good show. What is your definition of a "flop"? Is it something that lasted a season or less? By that definition, Gidget was a flop and Sony put that out.

5) It isn't making anyone a dime collecting dust in the vault. No matter how obscure the show, there is an audience for it.

11. Mark N

Mark N Auditioning

I'd love to see "The Paul Lynde Show" and "Camp Runamuck" come out on DVD! Hey, even "The Ugliest Girl In Town"! Then again, maybe not...
    By the way, Gidget wasn't a hit until after it was cancelled, the summer ratings went through the roof, that's the only reason Screen Gems syndicated the series.
    Mark Q¿Q

12. Michael Alden

Sony is really doing a great job of mining their catalogue. Far better than any of the other companies IMO. Yeah, they occasionally screw up and throw in a cut episode or two (Gidget, Partridge Family) but how many one or two season shows from the sixties has any other major released?

Next on my want list now that Bridget Loves Bernie is coming out would be Temperatures Rising, Love on a Rooftop, Occasional Wife, The Paul Lynde Show, Second Hundred Years and Girl With Something Extra. I'd buy Camp Runamuck although after seeing them again in the late 80s on HA, it's a really lame show. A sitcom at a kids' camp but hardly ever showing any kids.

Go Sony!

13. JonathanBB

JonathanBB Stunt Coordinator

How I wish The Wackiest Ship in the Army was out on DVD.

14. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Well, Screen Gems pioneered in sitcom production the same way Warners did with TV dramas, so it's no surprise there's a fabulous backlog of titles. If they're smart enough, they should release a lot of those single-season titles at a reduced price so more people will buy these relatively unknown series. Personally, I'd love to get my hands on Camp Runamuck and Love On A Rooftop.

15. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

"Occasional Wife" is one of my all-time favorite series. "Bridget Loves Bernie" too. And I have fond memories of "Love on a Rooftop." Would I buy them? You betcha, and in a heartbeat! It would be a dream come true to have these in any form, but especially on DVD.