Screen gain and color.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nick Montgomery, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Nick Montgomery

When researching about what exactly screen gain was a ran across this...

http://www.lpmorgan.com.au/projectio...n_material.htm

I was going to get a Draper HC grey for my X1 till I read this. What do you all think? Agree with what they say about grey screens?

Check out about what they say about gain to.

2. joey mr

joey mr Stunt Coordinator

what type of set up are you using and what size screen are you looking for and how far of a throw to the screen are you also using and do you have light problems ?

3. Nick Montgomery

I have an X1 at 9.5ft from the screen projecting a 75" 4:3 image.

I don't really have a light problem because I watch movies mainly at night. However I would like to get a screen that preforms well with some ambient light. Such as a 100watt table lamp on while watching. Or during the day to watch a Nascar race in a somewhat darked room.

Oh the agony of picking a screen!

4. joey mr

will the pj be ceiling mounted or wall or cabinet mounted and how high will the pj be projecting to the screen

75" is that diaganal or width ?

5. Nick Montgomery

Oops.. That would be 75" diagonal. The PJ will be ceiling mounted about 7.5ft up.

I am currently projecting on a piece of non-painted canvas stretched over a wood frame. What do you think the gain would be on the canvas?

6. joey mr

well my choice would be for a low ceiling mount i would go for

the 1.3 ciema vision perm wall da lite screen

this is enogh for what you need because say the pj 1100 lumens i calculate 60% of that 660 so i say either the mat white or the cinema vision will do fine for you .

and also check out this guy david giles i have his samples and his screens are fantastic

carada.com enjoy

oh and the prices are really good to [​IMG]

7. LouAR

LouAR Stunt Coordinator

Joey,
    Do you have any thoughts about the information presented in the link that Nick provided. The information there is pretty strong against any grey material.

I just ordered a Model "C" dalite with high contrast matte white (grey) and there may still be time to change the material. Many conversations with Dalite reps at Dalite recommneded this material for use in my living room with the Hitachi Home 1 I just ordeder. It has native 854-480, 700 ansi (expect 450-500), 800:1 contrast.

What was interesting is that the several Dalite rep conversations resulted in two different material recommendations. First was High Contrast Matte White, then another rep recommended Video Spectra (higher gain) and then in subsequent conversation I was more convinsingly persuaded to go with the High Contrast matte White. These multiple conversations occurred as I was wrestling between different projectors and sought input for the varying specs.

My first thought upon reading the linked material was to wonder if they sell only matte white and were creating arguments that supported their limited material choice. I looked around their site and see no material selection offered. While this does not mean they do not offer selection (I could have missed it), I remain suspicious especially in light of the various materials offered here in the US by Dalite, Stewart, etc. and all of the comments here in the forums.

Any thoughts, anyone?
    ~Lou~

8. joey mr

you have a pm

9. Nick Montgomery

I think your right. There are just to many favorable post about grey screens on here and other forums. This is the first I heard of the blue tint thing. Although it does make sense. It is probably only seen by the most critical eye.

10. LouAR

LouAR Stunt Coordinator

Deleted