What's new

Screen Format (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Most of my hardware has been purchased and is enroute. I'm looking at which screen to go with. Before I move on, I know there are alot of DIY'ers out there. Congrats on that, but I screw more things up than get it right so...I'm spending the money.

I'm choosing a Carada screen, but am wondering if there is anyone out there that doesn't use the 16x9 ratio. My room will be used almost entirely for movies. Does it make more sense to go with the super wide 2.35:1 format?

Thoughts or reflections if you own a wide format like this.

Thanks
Rick

chris_everett

Second Unit
I would guess that 1/3 of my movies are 16x9, so I went with that aspect ratio. Also, the limiting factor of my screen size was width, so a taller screen gives me the most picture in the most movies. The small "white bars" at the bottom and top of my screen disappear when I'm watching something.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This question really also depends on what films you're watching. I figure a good 80% of the films I watch are 2.35 or thereabouts.

The other very important question is what kind of projector setup you have. If you have an anamorphic lens such that the 16:9 panel of the display is stretched to 2.35 and have processing in the chain that can do the anamoprhic squeeze, then a 2.35 screen can be a great way to go. You can get full panel resolution with both 2.35 material and 16:9 material (by removing the lens).

I use a 16:9 screen because I use a CRT projector, so an anamorphic lens is not possible, and a fixed height screen would make 16:9 films take up significantly less raster than with a 16:9 setup.

With the right hardware, I would probably recommend the more cinematic nature of a 2.35 screen where 2.35 films are wider than 16:9, rather than being shorter as they would be in a 16:9 setup.

There is a forum dedicated to this at AVS too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks