What's new

Screen for Epson 8700 UB (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
I have two opposing (it seems) needs for my projector and screen. I love movies and want the best contrast possible yet I am also a hockey fan who wants to watch games (dominated by white background of ice) on the same screen.

I talked to a Da-Lite support guy at their head office and we seemed to come up with a 1.0 gain white matte surface or possibly a high contrast cinema vision screen (light grey: 1.1 gain).

I can control the light; I am shooting about 14', I want a 130~ diagonal, I have a narrow room so angle is not an issue.

I am concerned about the blacks washing out a bit although the 8700UB has a 200,000:1 contrast ratio and at the same time I need a bright - but zero glare projection for hockey.

ANy help greatly appreciated.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would go with the white, but it also depends on the color of your walls, and especially your ceiling. A white ceiling is BAD for projector use. It will reflect the light onto the screen. Also, do you watch with the lights on or off?

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
Thanks Jim. I watch with the lights off although there may be a small table lamp on (16' from screen) when watching hockey.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
at 130"...go with white and not gray.

turn off the side light when watching hockey. ...there should be more than enough reflected light for you to be able to eat popcorn (or drink a Labatts).

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree. I watch football games on my projector, and there's no way I need a light on.
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen

at 130"...go with white and not gray.

turn off the side light when watching hockey. ...there should be more than enough reflected light for you to be able to eat popcorn (or drink a Labatts).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks