What's new

Screen flicker problem (1 Viewer)

Tim Robbins

Agent
My screen has a significant flicker to it. I have tried all available refresh rates, made sure XP is up to date, installed latest vid card drivers, and nothing seems to help. Could there be interference issues with any equipment... my tower, wireless router, dsl modem and ext HD all sit on the desk next to monitor. Its a samsung 19" crt, win xp, nvidia 5300? pci express vid card, cant remember mobo brand.

Any help would be appreciated. Just noticed flicker couple of weeks ago, havent installed anything new or changed the placement of monitor/tower etc for months.

Thanks,
Tim

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The answer may be this: Windows XP has a known bug which forces the refresh rate to 60 Hz, no matter what refresh rate you choose. A fellow has written a hack for this in the form of two programmes called something called "RefreshLock" and "RefreshForce", which you can Google.
My monitor, at least, has an on-screen display I can activate which tells me the actual refresh rate/resolution in use, as opposed to what Windows says. I find sometimes, with my ATi card, Windows forces my refresh rate down to 60 Hz from my chosen 75 when coming back from hibernation or power-down, and I have to go into the ATi Control Panel -- which still thinks it's running at 75 Hz -- to correct this. What I do is to choose another refresh rate, and then when it prompts me to keep the setting hit "No"; that kicks me back out to my preferred settings.
If your refresh rate has changed, it should afect the CRT's High Voltage [flyback-derived supply, they never have good regulation] and thus the physical size of you picture. Have you noticed this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks