Screen door effect question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveJJ, Nov 15, 2002.

1. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

I am planning on using a LCD projector with a special component to VGA cable converter connected to a JVC progressive scan DVD player. Will I still see the screen door effect(SDE)...??? Thanks for any comments!

DaveJJ

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Yes, depending on how far away from the screen you sit, the size of the screen, the type of LCD projector (MLA or not), the resolution of the LCD projector, and your own sensitivity to it.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Tell us the model of LCD projector you are going to use and how far from the screen you will be sitting.

4. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

My unit is a LVP-X100A Super-XGA LCD projector which is made by Mitsubishi Electronics. The resolution is True 1024 x 768 with about 750 TV lines and 16 millions colors. The brightness is average with 600 ANSI lumens. Contrast ratio is 200:1. The Aspect Ratio is 4:3 and is capable of projecting a picture that is over 300 inches measured diagonal. The projector has a built-in line doubler. It has input connections for S-video and RGB(vga). My viewing room is a combination dining /living room. So I have plenty of space for viewing DVD movies in widescreen format. The screen size is a matte white Da-Lite 72"/96".

DaveJJ

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    1024x768. Ok, you will be able to see screen door effect if you are close to the screen, obviously. The recommended minimum seating distance from that size of screen would be 12ft and at that distance, you should not really be able to make out the pixel structure. How far are you planning to sit?

6. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

Ok Neil, thanks for the info. My seating will be about 40 to 45 feet from the screen. Will I get a improved picture with my JVC progressive scan DVD player using component video outputs?

DaveJJ

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Are you sure you will be able to see the screen from 40-45' [​IMG]

8. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

Sorry about Neil, I met to type 20-25' from the screen. My room is only 30' long. My second question was will I see a improved picture quality with component video over my current setup with S-video cable?

DaveJJ

9. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Wow, that's still an enormous distance for that size screen. I doubt you'll see the screendoor effect at that distance with that screen size. Your LCD projector is a NON-MLA type, and an early one at that. The fill ratio is somewhere around 60% or so:
    [​IMG]
    However, at your distances, it really shouldn't be apparent.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

11. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Dave,

I use a Sanyo PLV-60HT and a Stewart GrayHawk 100" diag (49" x 87"). My main seating is approx. 13.5' from the screen. The screen door effect is not noticeable 99% of the time. I can see it only if I focus on a particularly bright area or watch from inside of 12' from the screen.

With a 120" diag 4:3 screen I would highly doubt that the screen door effect would be visible from 20+ feet. If it is the USAF needs you!

12. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

You could always defocus slightly if it is a problem.

Todd B