Screen Cleaning

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SeanA, Aug 9, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I made the mistake of cleaning the screen on my Sony 34" XBR with an ammonia-based glass cleaner for the first 6 months. Now I seem to have smudges on the screen that won't go away. (The smudges are only noticeable when light reflects off the screen and I am looking at the screen from an angle of about 45 degrees or less). I bought a glass cleaner (Glass Plus) without ammonia, but it just seems to move the smudges around. I am hoping someone can help with the following questions:

1) Is there a cleaner available that is specifically made for CRT screens, and where can I find it ? Should I not use Glass Plus ?

2) Is it possible I have destroyed the anti-glare coating on my screen ? And is it possible the smudges are the remains of the anti-glare coating ?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, you may have ruined the anti-reflective coating. You should have run a search here before attempting to clean the XBR's screen. This topic comes up from time to time.

While your anti-glare coating may be gone, your picture tube is still quite fine.

If you want to use a convenient fluid for such a purpose, use a non-amonia-based fluid for cleaning eye glasses. Or you could use a fluid intended for cleaning computer-monitor screens.

And always spray the fluid on an optical-grade super-soft cloth and then clean the screen. Use another such cloth to dry the screen and to wipe away any streaks.

Or, if you're willing to spend a little time, use a combination of distilled water and light detergent for cleaning, and wipe again with distilled water only to remove any soapy residue. And wipe yet again with a dry cloth to remove any streaking.

3. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Thanks Jack,

I did find the topic on screen cleaning a few weeks back, and that is why I stopped using standard glass cleaner... but alas too late.

I will take your advice. Do you know if a place like Office Depot would carry the computer cleaning fluid and optical grade cloth ? I have tried the Targets and Kmarts and can't seem to find specific screen cleaning products.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Try an eye doctor's office for one (which is where I get my cloths and fluid). Obviously, the super-soft cloths minimize the chance of scratching that expensive screen.

Computer stores stock monitor cleaners.