What's new

Screen Cleaner? (1 Viewer)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
How do you clean the lenticular screen on a RPTV?

Is there some kind of solution that you can buy to clean the screen?

Or, do you just use a feather duster?

Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
For smudges, get an optical-grade soft cloth, distilled water, and mild detergent. Pour just a drop or two of detergent into a bowl a third- to half-filled with the water and stir it. Then dab the cloth into it and clean the screen. A second such cloth should be used afterward (for drying).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Not that I know of. If you want an easier technique, get a bottle of optical-glasses cleaning fluid. But, truthfully, the detergent/distilled water/cloths approach is fine.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Tim, I'm sure that stuff works fine. But I'd buy it just for the cloth, and once that $20 Monster stuff runs out, just go with the distilled water/detergent approach.

Really, all you need to do is get the cloth at either a pharmacy or an optical shop, and the distilled water and detergent from your nearest supermarket. Total expenditure? Oh, $5-$8.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jack,

You have a good point. We will need a FAQ's on these kinds of stuff.

By "detergent", do you mean like dish soap?

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Emphasis on: I got the Monster product, just for the microfiber cloth that was larger than I could find in an optical shop. I'm sure I overpaid, and on my budget today, I'd have stuck to Jack's more economic approach.

Good suggestion making a FAQ on this, as it was hard to find good information on safe screen cleaning.

BTW, mine is a different screen - a direct-view HDTV (Sony 34XBR910).

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Why do you need/want distilled water?

Is it just for purity?

We're on a well and have a water treatment "plant" down in the basement, plus the water out of the sink goes through a Revserse Osmosis unit on top of the basement treatment.

Will this suffice and also apply to a RP LCD TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks