1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Burn

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jared Nissen, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Jared Nissen

Jared Nissen Auditioning

Hi everyone!

I've been looking around at some new tv's lately, and I've hit a dilemma. I watch a lot of movies, and play a lot of video games. Now, I keep on hearing about the increased risk of screen burn-in with projection screens, and this makes me balk at the idea of purchasing one.

Now, would it be in my best interest to buy a projection or a CRT? I have never, ever gotten a straight answer on the real risk of burn-in with a projection screen. I hope to get the final word here.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I'd like to point out that this is by far and away the most professional and mature (a very rare trait indeed) forum that I have ever seen.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Your question is a confusing one, but it is thoroughly covered in the master burn-in thread, found in the display forums:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=105385

Wear occurs with displays that use phosphors: CRTs, and Plasmas.

CRTs can be found in direct-view sets (a "normal" TV), but also in most RPTVs, and also in CRT projectors(which are the same as an RPTV, except not enclosed in a ready-made RP setup, and can be used for front or rear projection screens. Projection CRTs are more susceptible to wear and burn in because they are driven harder (than direct-view sets). PLasmas can also suffer from phosphor wear and burn-in.

Projection systems (RPTVs, of front projectors) are also often digital projectors, usually LCD or DLP. These do not suffer from phosphor wear (since they don't use phosphors, they work very differently). So your question about projection screen versus not, is not really a good question, hopefully I've clarified things, read through the thread as well.

The bottom line is, correctly calibrated in at least slightly dimmed room, burn in should be much of a problem.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think jared is referring to "traditional" tube tv's as crt's and "traditional" rear-projection tv's as rptv's ... but not sure.

bottom line, as long as you're careful with your viewing habits you should be fine. be sure to read the burn-in thread chris referenced.

like chris said, dlp's have no burn-in issues.

chris - i thought lcd's could still burn in because they're a fixed-pixel type display???

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ted: DLP is also a fixed pixel type display. While it is often stated that DLP/LCD, and other similar displays (except for plasma) do not suffer from burn in issues at all, there have been discussions of pixel aging, etc with LCDs. I have not heard similar discussions with regard to DLPs, however.