What's new

Screen build time *help (1 Viewer)

Jonathan R

Agent
Okay my X1 is producing a 83"x62" image and Im having a hard time finding how I want to go about doing it. If I go with the parkland polywall I will have a seam. There are some BO cloths out there but Im concerned about the image quality using something like that. Ive been checking out ebay as well and have noticed there are several people selling projector screen material, but I have no idea the quality on that either. I need some suggestions for this large 4:3 screen. Thanks

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Dazian Fabric sells both non-perforated and perforated screen material in widths large enough for your screen. These are a bit expensive for my tastes, so I'm using their Coated Celtic Cloth, which comes extremely wide if need be (up to 160" at least!). However, this material is more intended for speakers behind the screen, and as such also lets light through. You can back it with a non transparent material such as Dazian's Commando Cloth if you like and still come out way cheaper than the genuine screen material. I have no complaints using the CCC, but my setup required it due to the speaker behind the screen.

I've heard plenty of good comments over at AVS forum in regards to the material on eBay sold by the seller moakes.

http://www.dazian.com

Aaron Gilbert

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to go with genuine name brand screen material buy a "Model B" pull down screen from Da-Lite. See here:

http://store.cousinsvideo.com/model-b-video-format.html

They are pretty cheap and if you don't want a pull down screen just cut the material off the roller, make a your own frame and staple it on.

The pricing structure is pretty wierd for the cut-to-size screen material, its actually cheaper to buy a Model B screen and chop it off the roller than buy the screen material alone. Especially with the higher end screen material. You can buy a 69"x92" Da-Lite High Power Model B screen for $275, but to buy an identical size in raw screen material it costs over $650. Very odd.

Jonathan R

Agent
well the delite screen is more expensive than any of my other current options, so I might have to pass on them. Im going to check into the ebay seller a bit more though. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jonathan, be careful with the material from moakes. Some people at Avsforum have said it seems to be overpriced Blackout cloth. I also have the X1 and built my screen out of Blackout cloth, and I'm very happy with it. You can get large Blackout cloth at Walmart.com. The stuff at Joann Fabrics is only 54" wide.

Jonathan R

Agent
Jim yea thats all Im really expecting. However Im going with a pretty large screen and instock walmart didnt have a size large enough. and even if I were to order it from walmart.com the price would be nearly the same and it would include wrinkles, the ebay one does not :) I hope the screen material will be here soon so I can get started on the screen. Thanks for the help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks