Screen brightness flicker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Asa, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Asa

Asa Auditioning

I've got a new Mits. 46809 and I've been noticing a subtle (sometimes not too subtle) brightness flicker. I can see it regardless of which video source I'm attached to, in fact....I can see it even better when no video source is turned on. (cable and DVD off) It seems somewhat intermittent and shows up more in darker scenes, or as I indicated, with blank screen but TV on. It's kind of like a washed out, foggy look that flickers like a candle. It really has become annoying. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Experience with the same problem? I'm having someone come out later in the week, but before they do, I'd like to sort it out myself if I can. Thanks in advance for any input.[​IMG]

2. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

I have similar problems with my set.

I am starting to wonder if it is a grayscale problem with one of the colors being way out of range.

On DVDs, take careful notice of colors. Do they look natural, or does something seem incorrect. Also, do you notice the MPEG compression artifacts more easily? I notice subtle flickering in peoples faces, where there are subtle color differences in skin color. Some portions of peoples faces tend to blink. Can this be grayscale related?

My TV exhibits this same brightness flicker and DVDs look merely OK on it. Dark areas no not exhibit much detail either. They seem kinda washed out. This is not a front panel brightness/picture setting issue either. I calibrated with Avia. Colors appear muted and dull and not exactly as what you should expect.

Any experts out there can comment on this. If a set comes from the factory with grayscale settings all over the map, would it have a negative effect on colors and produces these types of flickers?