Screen blocking my remote function.

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Norris, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

All my components are located behind the drop-down screen. I have to walk over behind the screen and operate the machines (DVD player, receiver,...). What are some options to solve my problem?

Thanks,

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

You need an IR repeater system. Xantech is good brand of IR repeater hardware and many other brands are rebadged Xantech. I've found the simple "starter" kit on ASIhome.com for under $100 in the past (I have purchased 3 of these kits from them over the past few years, 2 for me, 1 for my dad). The simple kit consists of an IR recvr which is small box that you will need to have visible in the room, this connects via a thin wire to the connecting block which hides behind your equipment. Power supply (wall wart) also connects to the block. Then you can connect up to 4 emitters (4 are included in the kit) that stick over the IR sensor on your gear and plug into the block...if you need more then 4 emitters you can buy double emitters (one plug to the block, two emmitter heads), this is cheap OR you can buy a larger connecting block and more emitters...it's very expandable.

3. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Yup, repeater would work.

What about using a small mirror? Have someone wander around with a mirror, tilting it until you can see the eqiupment from your chair. Then make up a mounting system and leave the mirror there! I'd get a rear-view mirror from a bicycle, or a Harley - that already has a nifty ball mount! (note: do not "borrow" a mirror from a Harley - you may get damaged in the process!)