1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

screen and HT setup

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JackHC, May 3, 2004.

1. JackHC

JackHC Auditioning

I have a Diy project and am at the point of setting up my Sony vplhs20 projector and making my own screen. I've been reading several posts on screen size, aspect ratios, formats, etc and have made several calculations to figure out screen size and projector distances. Frankly, this is giving me a gigantic headache. The deal with the 1.78 vs 2.35 has really complicated the issue. Appearently I can't adjust the lens for a 2.35 I take it. Even if that was the only size screen I wanted I would still have to blackout the top and bottom. So I have to build my screen to a 1.78 format and have the bars instead of building a 2.35 and just have a smaller screen for the 1.78 stuff like dish network, hdtv, and the like. It would be nice if I could just flip a switch on this Sony and have a different ratio. So basically I'm asking for advice from anyone who has set up this projector.

Generally I'm calculating different screen sizes and then converting to see what each format would be. Once I settle on the screen size then I can formulate my projector distance. I also see that the support for the Sony has an adjustment of 6" to 12". Does this have any affect on the projection?

16x12 rm
    Sony vplhs20
    diy screen
    axiom speakers
    denon 2803 7.1

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am moving this to displays.

The HS20 is a fixed width setup unless you want to zoom in and out for each different aspect ratio. I will chime in later.

3. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

This is confusing me also. I have the HS3, and it was through trial and error that I got it to display Gladiator somthing like I wanted last night. This was the maiden voyage, so I'm sure I'll figure it all out eventually, but after cycling through some of the Wide Mode options, I think it was Zoom that gave me the whole movie, not squashed or stretched, in 2.35:1, across the whole width of the projected area. From the description in the manual, this didn't sound like it would be the case, but it worked.

4. JackHC

JackHC Auditioning

Check your DVD player also. I just found that mine has a 4:3 and 16:9 setting which made a difference also. I think I'm coming down to the point of finding a distance that is close to all screen sizes I'm thinking of and putting up the projector that way.