What's new

Scream Trilogy (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Search would not work.

To the best of my research, the Trilogy Box contains the "Collector's Series" of each title. One source claims that is the only way to get the Collector's Seris of #2. Also, as far as I can tell, there is no Anamorphic Version of #1, in the box or individually. If this is true, does anyone think there will ever be an Anamorphic re-release?

Anyone who can provide more specifics on these movies and this box, I'd appreciate it.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Good news and bad news.

The bad news is that Scream (1996) has never been anamorphically released for region 1 (no idea about the rest of the world). All of the DVD releases are the theatrical versions (i.e., not the unrated director's cut that is available on laserdisc). AN ANAMORPHIC SCREAM IS NEEDED.

The good news is that you can get an anamorphic Scream 2 (1997) by itself. Just beware that the non-anamorphic Scream 2 is also available, so you have to be careful. Just check the back of the box for the magic words.

-Reagan

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
In addition to an anamorphic version of Scream not being available, the unrated cut of Scream is ALSO not available, despite its wide availability on laserdisc. What's really ridiculous is that the Collector's Edition DVD basically ports over the laserdisc's commentary track, where Craven rails against the MPAA for the cuts mandated and why his original cut you're viewing is so much better, and you're not actually viewing it!

However, I understand that the Region 3 Scream DVD is both the Director's Cut and anamorphic.

-Lyle J.P.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
The reason why the Uncut version of Scream was never released on DVD is because Disney owns the distribution rights in the US... It's against their policy to release Unrated material... The Laserdisc was uncut because it had a different distributer...

There was an interview a few years ago about all this... Basically, dont expect an Uncut DVD in the US for a very long time if at all... This would require Disney to change their policy toawrds unrated material...

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Not true, although I'm sure others will argue the reason I
read the Director's cut didn't make it into the boxset was of mastering issues conerning the print.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Guys thanks for the feedback so far. I wasn't even aware of the different versions issue. It certainly seems like they need a new box set, adding Anamorphic Enhancement to SCREAM, and adding the unrated cut to all 3. Disney ought to contract out distributorship to some other company, so "they will still not be releasing unrated material". How lame!

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
John Co,

The good news is that unrated issues are irrelevant to Scream 2 and 3. There weren't (as far as anyone knows - and both films have commentary tracks with Craven) any cuts that had to be made in order to get an R rating.

So 2 and 3 are right in their current form.

Maybe in 2006 we'll see Scream done right for the 10th anniversary, although I hope it doesn't take that long.

-Reagan

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Marcus,

Thats not true at all... There is nothing wrong with any of the uncut prints... For proof of this just check out the Laserdisc or the overseas release DVD... The movie has been released Uncut mutliple times in different places. It's not like the movie is 30 years old... The movie is fairly new and there are multiple uncut prints still in existance... It would not be very hard at all to get an uncut print...

The movie even played Uncut on Directv PPV back in 1997... It was also released uncut on even VHS for a limited time... Plus you had the Laserdisc that was released in the US...

They can restore movies like Silent Night Deadly Night, Suspiria, etc. from years ago, I see no reason why it would be so difficult to restore a movie that is only 7 years old when uncut prints are readily available...

Disney does have the policy against NC-17, X, and Unrated material... This is pretty much common knowledge...

Paramount also has the same policy... Same reason why Blockbuster will not carry the NC-17 equivilant... But, I believe they are going to try and release the F13 series uncut, so they might be getting rid of the policy... I dont know...

Disney I cant see giving up the policy though... Only because it's Disney...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

But, they released the 'Pretty Woman' unrated version. They said that none of those cuts would have made it nc-17 as in the case of "Scream", but its shady none-the-less.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Chad,

Thats a good point... I dont know... If thats the case, then it's shady...

Did they release it uncut with an R rating? I mean was it advertised as the uncut version or did it just have an R rating, but ended up to be the different cut?

MGM does this... The Burning for example that was sold through Amazon had an R rating, but it was actually the X version... Squirm has a PG rating, but it was actually the R verions. TCM2 had an R rating, but that was also the X cut.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The good news is that unrated issues are irrelevant to Scream 2 and 3. There weren't (as far as anyone knows - and both films have commentary tracks with Craven) any cuts that had to be made in order to get an R rating.
I can say for absolute certain that this is the case with Part 2. I distinctly remember reading an interview with Craven in which he mentions that his first submission of Scream 2 to the ratings board got an 'R', and no cuts were required. I don't know about 3.

-Lyle J.P.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

My copy says not rated. I'm sure if it were it would get an R, which is their argument--but it's weak if you ask me.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
One thing to note is that the non-anamorphic transfer of Scream is very good - looking much better than the anamorphic transfer of Scream 2 IIRC.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
According to the MPAA page, the director's cut of Pretty Woman was rated R in 1999. It seems to have been available before this unrated, though. Perhaps Disney had it rated because of a decision to solidify the policy.

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
Disney's policy is against release of NC-17 material, NOT unrated material.

In other words, if restoring any footage, etc, would have made the film to be rated as NC-17, then Disney will not release it. Hence, no Scream unrated release in US.

For Pretty Woman, because the Director's cut with the added (unrated) footage would not have made the movie to be rated as NC-17, therefore, Disney has no problem to release it.

The unrated version is terrific!

You don't know what you guys are missing with the toned down soundmix in the R rated version.

It is loud,full of intense sinister atmosphere & truely makes the film come alive.

The violence is rather tame(ratingwise) & should get an R uncut. Yet that soundmix is incredible & severely hampered in the R version by being toned down in volume & intensity.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
The first submission to the MPAA of SCREAM recieved an NC-17 rating....

It was appealed and cut to get the R.

Disney currently has a policy against the release of the NC-17 cut........

The Region 2 (Japan) release was anamorphic and indeed included the Director's Cut... but it has long gone out of print.

Dugger

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The MPAA site only lists an R rating for Scream. Films that were rerated (Clerks and Solaris, for instance) show both ratings. I don't think it was ever officially assigned an NC-17, though it was apparently threatened with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks