SCREAM laserdisc commentary weirdness

Discussion in 'DVD' started by cafink, Apr 23, 2003.

1. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Hi all!

I recently picked up the SCREAM laserdisc as I've been pining for the director's cut that's not available on DVD (in Region 1). I haven't sat down and watched it yet, but I've sampled some scenes and it seems like a really nice disc. I have only one concern regarding the commentary.

When I switch to analog audio, I can hear the commentary but there is a lot (LOT!) of static/hiss/noise/whatever present. It's simply unlistenable. I sampled each audio channel (is that the correct term?) individually, and it seems that the commentary is intact on the left channel, while the right channel contains nothing but noise.

I don't imagine that this sort of error could be caused by a faulty disc. Was it produced this way on purpose? What exactly is the reason?

Thank you for your time.

2. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

IIRC, the analog tracks on the Scream LD include the commentary on one channel and the DD bitstream on the other.
    You need to set your balance to the left or right.

This was the only way to transport a DD bitstream back in the day.

DTS actually took up both analog channels.

Doug

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Doug is correct. Every DD-encoded laserdisc will have the same hiss on the right analog channel.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. Steven_M Grimes

Steven_M Grimes Stunt Coordinator

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I always thought the AC3 system was rather silly, as it shut out all the players that only had analog sound (pre-1984). Analog sound quality was usually pretty good; before I got my new sound system there were a few LD titles I was going to buy the DTS versions of anyway because I could live with the analog sound for the time being and hear the DTS track when I upgraded. With the equipment I've got now, the absence of a PCM track isn't a big deal.

8. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Michael, you're right. How quickly I forgot about DTS being on the digital tracks.

Jesse, I think a mono version was supplied on the other channel with AC3 discs.
    If the person didn't care about quality PCM tracks enough to upgrade their player, than I'm sure mono sounded fine to them. [​IMG]

Doug

9. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Thankfully I've never heard the noise of an AC3 track whenever I listen to a commentary, as once I switch to analogue my player will only output the left analogue channel (on an AC3 disc). Always kinda neat, I thought.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"If the person didn't care about quality PCM tracks enough to upgrade their player, than I'm sure mono sounded fine to them."

Analog LD sound was already pretty good for its time. I have an old analog-only player from 1984 that sounds fine on non-rotted discs.

12. Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim Stunt Coordinator

On a slightly related note:

I have a CLD-D605 hooked up via optical and analog cables to my receiver. When I try to listen to the commentary on the "Trainspotting" Criterion LD, I find that I cannot. The player lets me toggle through the digital tracks and (what appear to be onscreen) the analog tracks, but I cannot hear either the commentary (bad) or the AC-3 noise (good). The front display shows AC-3 RF, if that makes a difference. Is there any way to force my player to ignore the AC-3 track and play either of the analog tracks (so that I could then listen to the commentary)?

If not, would a potential solution be to purchase an RF demodulator? That would certainly allow me to listen to the AC-3 track, but not, necessarily, the other analog track, and I am primarily interested in the commentary.

Thanks!

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Do you have the analog input selected on your reciever? I had this problem the other day when I was checking out the TCM commentary...forgot to switch the damn input.

14. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The analogue tracks (i.e. the commentary) are output only through the analogue RCA jacks so make sure the receiver is set to input from those rather than the digital-in.

15. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

And when you select the analog track from the player's remote, be sure to toggle until only the director's commentary is coming through (the left analog channel only). Don't play the analog tracks in stereo, or you'll get exactly what you've been getting previously.

And it looks like you have the AC3 Dolby Digital version. Lucky for me I snagged the DTS laserdisc versions of Scream (also the DC w/commentary) and Scream 2 when Ken Crane's had their sidewalk blowout sale oh those many years ago! Nine bucks each! [​IMG] The DTS audio is fantastic. If you can find the DTS version DO NOT pass it up!

Dan

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

AC3-capable players won't let you listen to the noise on AC3 discs- they'll display "ANALOG STEREO 1/L ONLY".