What's new

Scream Factory to release "Prince of Darkness" (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
That one looks not bad considering some of the new art they've done. I'm eager for this one, it's been ages since I watched it. The min dude refers to someone acting "Assholish", it still cracks me up that word.

P

Patrick Donahue

Ahhhhh, "Prince of Darkness." I just wish I could come to terms with why I think a movie like this is honestly not that good and yet... I still love it :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
TravisR said:
Was there a commentary on the R2 DVD of Prince Of Darkness or was it just They Live that had one?
I just read an old Video Watchdog and it appears both titles had a commentary track.

It also appears that Carpenter's rarely seen film HALLOWEEN will be getting released this October in a new Blu/DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Richard--W said:
Hey.Put that back the way I had it.How would you like it if I started rewriting your posts?
Damn that was unusual. I don't think I have ever seen a post so changed.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The R2 DVD of Prince of Darkness has the trailer and a commentary by John Carpenter and actor Peter Jason. I believe, based on the track record, that we will see this commentary included on the Scream Factory Blu. Which likely just leaves the Carpenter/Bridges commentary for the R2 DVD of Starman as the only one that hasn't crossed the pond to the USA.

I don't know if I'll pick this one up. I saw it in the theater when it came out, and I remember being very disappointed. It had some great ideas - the transmission to the unconscious brain, the idea of the devil being on the other side of the mirror - but that was in between a lot of really bad horror movie moments. The idea that they were being menaced by Alice Cooper and an army of homeless people was a little much. I think I checked out around the time that the bugs animated the body.

For me, looking back, I'd say that Carpenter's best movie is still Halloween - for the reason of its brutal efficiency. It's a mean little movie and it's not trying to do anything but scare the daylights out of you. Past that, I still love Starman, simply for it being a totally different kind of movie from the same filmmaker - and while it isn't the E.T. it wants to be, it's still very good. I enjoy Escape From New York, but it bogs down for nearly a third of its running time in inconsequential business. And I enjoy They Live, but that's a hard movie to recommend to an unprepared viewer...

I agree that Carpenter is pretty much retired now. He was out of it for several years before Masters of Horror gave him a couple of spots to play around again. Those weren't great, but they weren't bad pieces either, and they were certainly a step above Ghosts of Mars. I believe it was on the strength of those pieces he was able to do The Ward, but nobody saw that movie. At this point, I'm not sure if we'll ever see another movie by John Carpenter. I'd be curious to see if we do.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Have to admit its one of my Carpenter favorites as well. Actually I would venture as far saying one of my all time favorites from any director.I think I enjoyed all his movies the first time but not many do I enjoy rewatching. Halloween and the Thing are at the top but I still remember that anytime through college that we were looking to sit down and watch a really scary movie most had not seen I went to Prince Of Darkness. Great tempo through out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks