What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
158446834_2139277869542546_7243186375694646779_o.jpg

THE AWAKENING (1980) – Two-time Academy Award® winner* Charlton Heston stars as an archaeologist driven to destroy the ancient evil he unleashes when his research causes The Awakening. Matthew Corbeck is obsessed with finding and opening the tomb of the murderous ancient Egyptian queen Kara, to the point of neglecting his pregnant wife (Jill Townsend, Poldark) even as she delivers their baby. But the evil that he frees takes possession of his newborn daughter. Now, eighteen years later, his daughter, Margaret (Stephanie Zimbalist, Remington Steele), returns to Egypt to meet her father for the first time – and he must overcome powerful occult forces to destroy the evil he unleashed upon the world!

June 15, 2021

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Fun film, I believe this was Hestons final on screen appearance as a main character. As an adaption of the original novel its decent and the film does exude some creepiness. The soundtrack is good as well.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
YES! Not a great film but fun. Should look quite handsome on blu if done properly. Alas, no mention of the film's leading lady, the lovely Susannah York anywhere in the announcement! :(

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
THE AWAKENING (1980) – Two-time Academy Award® winner* Charlton Heston stars as an archaeologist [...]
Heston had to have dug really, really deep within himself to excavate that second Oscar winning performance. So deep, in fact, that it’s not even found within the AMPAS record books.;)

FILE UNDER: Humanitarians Are Not Competitive.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Heston had to have dug really, really deep within himself to excavate that second Oscar winning performance. So deep, in fact, that it’s not even found within the AMPAS record books.;)

FILE UNDER: Humanitarians Are Not Competitive.
Yes, I've frequently seen actors who've been given honorary Oscars referred to as Oscar winning actors. So Elizabeth Taylor is a three time Oscar winning actress instead of two and we have Oscar "winning" actors like Myrna Loy, Peter O'Toole and Maureen O'Hara.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Shout! decided this Orion/Warner Bros box office bomb would sell better than ISLE OF THE DEAD, apparently. I wish them luck with it.

For me, THE AWAKENING is purely a nostalgia thing. I did see it theatrically in 1980, and I found elements of it compelling (the visits to the inside of the tomb, one or two of the deaths, the very fine musical score), but also found it largely ridiculous. I did not like any of the lead performances at all (personally, if I had a wife like Heston's, I'd want to carry on an affair as well). C+. I might even pick this up on Blu-ray, and will watch it periodically, but it will always remain a guilty pleasure.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Shout! decided this Orion/Warner Bros box office bomb would sell better than ISLE OF THE DEAD, apparently. I wish them luck with it.
To be fair, this movie was probably quite a bit cheaper to license than the Lewton titles so they can sell less copies and still make money with it.

EDIT: I've never seen The Awakening but I'm semi-interested because of a full-page ad on the back of an early issue of Fangoria. It's stuck with me for years since it's probably the only horror movie I've seen that big of an ad for that I had never heard of.

Last edited:

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn

For me, THE AWAKENING is purely a nostalgia thing. I did see it theatrically in 1980, and I found elements of it compelling (the visits to the inside of the tomb, one or two of the deaths, the very fine musical score), but also found it largely ridiculous. I did not like any of the lead performances at all (personally, if I had a wife like Heston's, I'd want to carry on an affair as well). C+. I might even pick this up on Blu-ray, and will watch it periodically, but it will always remain a guilty pleasure.
I agree ..it is not a great movie but actually very enjoyable and well acted with an outstanding music score which is available on CD . Certainly I will buy this BD along with also announced THE SPHINX another not brilliant film but again very enjoyable with a monumental wonderful film score by Michael J Lewis and this score is also on CD but not easy to find now.

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
The late Claude Bowling’s score was just reissued and is indeed excellent; the movie, so-so, Heston’s version of The Omen.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The late Claude Bowling’s score was just reissued and is indeed excellent; the movie, so-so, Heston’s version of The Omen.
But not half as good as the Omen. The Awakening has so much potential but is just dull for a horror movie. Its very much a PG horror film. The same story was done much better by Hammer in 1971 as Blood from the Mummy's tomb.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

That's Claude Bolling, not to be picky. He is best known for his jazz ensemble works, although he has a few other film scores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw