Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: Orca The Killer Whale! (1977) (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 2.15.40 AM.png

Swim for your life this Summer as ORCA comes hunting on Blu-ray for the first time in North America!

Sleek, intelligent, beautiful ... and hell-bent on revenge. Producer Dino De Laurentiis (King Kong, Ragtime) and director Michael Anderson (Around The World In 80 Days, Logan's Run) join forces to present the rousing action-adventure tale of ORCA. It's the story of one powerful being against another: a strong, determined fisherman (Richard Harris,Unforgiven) versus an equally determined killer whale. When the giant whale's pregnant mate is maimed and killed by Harris, the whale seeks vengeance: smashing boats, attacking a seacoast village, and eventually luring his human adversaries to a final confrontation in the marine creature's own arctic turf. Charlotte Rampling, Will Sampson, and Bo Derek (in her feature film debut) also star in this seafaring epic brimming with nail-biting suspense and spectacular special effects.

Street date: 6/30/2020. Extras are in progress and will be announced on a later date. There's a reverse cover with alternate theatrical art too! Pre-order links coming soon on shoutfactory.com and other fine online retailers.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robin9

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Oh, yes. I remember seeing this when it first came out and thinking it was better than Jaws. This is the film that first brought home to me that Charlotte Rampling is/was a strong screen presence. I wouldn't mind seeing this film again.

Reactions: Zen Butler

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Oh, yes. I remember seeing this when it first came out and thinking it was better than Jaws. This is the film that first brought home to me that Charlotte Rampling is/was a strong screen presence. I wouldn't mind seeing this film again.
:eek: The one thing I remember about this movie is what happened to Bo Derek.

Reactions: Tino and Zen Butler

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Good movie with a very good score by Ennio Morricone. The score makes the more tragic moments hit home and the overall tone of the movie moody. The score makes the movie much better than it would be otherwise. As others have mentioned on Facebook I really hope Scream/Shout does a special feaure on Morricone's score. It really deserves it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I had to chime in as Randy texted me that this was coming. Never got the comparisons to Jaws. Although, I love Jaws I always found Orca just a bit more moody and dark. Just YT the Orca main theme by Morricone and prepare for chills.

Randy Korstick

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Orca is one of the better Jaws ripoffs but nowhere near that classic. Not in the same pond. Not even in the same ocean!;)
Agreed on which is the better film but ripoff is a bit harsh the films are different animals. Pardon the pun. Apples and Oranges. Orca owes far more to Moby Dick. Orca did cash in on the success of Jaws with a killer animal but it was far from the 1st film to do it. . A true Jaws ripoff would be something like Great White or Grizzly that used the same premise, characters and basic story as Jaws.

Reactions: Tino and Zen Butler

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jaws "borrows" a fair amount from Moby Dick, as well, especially in the finale of the Benchley book. So I always cringe a bit when people label some other story as a Jaws ripoff when that story itself is not wholly original.

Sub the white shark for the white whale, which destroys Quint's/Ahab's boat, and Quint/Ahab drowns (in Benchley's book) after becoming entangled in the lines of the harpoons that Quint/Ahab has launched at the shark/whale in an attempt to kill the creature while endangering others and resulting in collateral deaths of crew on the boats.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The whale seeking vengeance?

If anything, Jaws: The Revenge copied this!
Revenge is about Ellen getting revenge on the shark for what it did to her son not the shark getting revenge. The only time any shark got "revenge" was in the 3 when it was looking for it's baby.

Reactions: MatthewA

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkoenig4