What's new

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: Friday The 13th Deluxe Edition (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
So, the 3D credits are messed up?

Yes. Greg Kintz of The 3D Archive posted the following on the Blu-ray.com:

"I was finally able to sample some of Friday the 13th 3-D bluray and concur what revgen and mar3o have already noted:

Right after the main F13III title, the following opening credits are screwed up, and are screwed up the same way Shout Factory altered the main title for "Metalstorm" ..another 1980s 3-D bluray release: They are not allowed to come out of the 3-D window as they were originally designed to do. It's really a shame, as the Friday the 13th III opening titles as designed by Celestial Mechanics were some of the best offscreen 3-D credits in stereoscopic film history - an effect that is ruined on this 3-D bluray.

For the rest of the film some 3-D alignment work has been done but is by no means meticulous with many shots still having misalignment. Even the closing credits have vertical misalignment, and that would have been one single adjustment to correct.

There are some other issues as well, but the opening titles being purposely altered where the original intent is now lost... I don't get it. Can someone working on these titles not properly see 3-D? Do they have a subpar display that has excessive ghosting? I don't know, but its clearly leaving a mark on their product."

I don't understand why Paramount and other studios continue to release 3D titles without The 3D Film Archive doing the restoration. I'm sure they are paying more than the The 3D Film Archive would charge and getting a worse result.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Greg Kintz of The 3D Archive posted the following on the Blu-ray.com:

"I was finally able to sample some of Friday the 13th 3-D bluray and concur what revgen and mar3o have already noted:

Right after the main F13III title, the following opening credits are screwed up, and are screwed up the same way Shout Factory altered the main title for "Metalstorm" ..another 1980s 3-D bluray release: They are not allowed to come out of the 3-D window as they were originally designed to do. It's really a shame, as the Friday the 13th III opening titles as designed by Celestial Mechanics were some of the best offscreen 3-D credits in stereoscopic film history - an effect that is ruined on this 3-D bluray.

For the rest of the film some 3-D alignment work has been done but is by no means meticulous with many shots still having misalignment. Even the closing credits have vertical misalignment, and that would have been one single adjustment to correct.

There are some other issues as well, but the opening titles being purposely altered where the original intent is now lost... I don't get it. Can someone working on these titles not properly see 3-D? Do they have a subpar display that has excessive ghosting? I don't know, but its clearly leaving a mark on their product."

I don't understand why Paramount and other studios continue to release 3D titles without The 3D Film Archive doing the restoration. I'm sure they are paying more than the The 3D Film Archive would charge and getting a worse result.

disappointing. I guess a disc correction is unlikely

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Shout Factory: ... there are some potential errors that affect a few of the films in the set.
Yet another release that apparently skipped basic QA/QC to rush straight into replication, causing yet another post-release kerfuffle. :rolleyes:

ANYONE familiar with these films picks this stuff out right away. It would be so easy to avoid a public social media meltdown by just having a couple of fans view these before they're locked down.

Releases like this certainly do nothing to inspire confidence in those that are still supporting physical media. I know I've stopped pre-ordering much of anything these days until I see reviews and whether or not there's a screw up.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
A piece of dirt is consistently present on the left lenses image-view of Part 3 3D when the camera pans a police scene, starting at 00:20:56. Can't help wanting to close the left eye for the spot to vanish and reappear.
That should have been digitally removed.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A piece of dirt is consistently present on the left lenses image-view when the camera pans a police scene, starting at 00:20:56. Can't help wanting to close the left eye for the spot to vanish and reappear.
That should have been digitally removed.

10/10 Sarc there.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Definitely looks better in terms of compression and picture noise. But since its Friday the 13th Part III, you're not going to great AV quality no matter what you do.

EDIT -- On the other hand... ugh.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im not interested in 3D anyway so that was a non-issue for me. It was the directors cut of Part 9 JGTH that was surprising. They dont have the best QA but at least they do disc replacement programs. And the people that run the Scream Factory fan page, Jeff and Cliff - are fans just like us Im sure they are just as upset as we are that the set had imperfections. Not just for the rep of the brand but as fans that watch these films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Im not interested in 3D anyway so that was a non-issue for me. It was the directors cut of Part 9 JGTH that was surprising. They dont have the best QA but at least they do disc replacement programs. And the people that run the Scream Factory fan page, Jeff and Cliff - are fans just like us Im sure they are just as upset as we are that the set had imperfections. Not just for the rep of the brand but as fans that watch these films.
I pretty much hate JGTH and Jason X so I'm not particularly concerned about them but I suppose if I have them, they might as well be complete so I ordered the replacement discs. :D

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, every time with these box sets from Shout.
This has to cost Shout a ton of money, so they aren't happy.
Quality control before shipping would eliminate this.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
For the folks that only wanted the 3-D disc but understandably didn't want to spend the money on the rest of the set, you might want to keep an eye on eBay once the replacement discs start shipping. Non-3-D credits seems worth it if the price is right.

Boy, I'll be doing just that.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Did Part III even have 3D Credits in the first place? They're flat on the anaglyph version.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Wow, after reading the entire thread above I'm glad I decided not to make the purchase. It's a shame the opening credits for part 3 got messed up. For those of you who have never seen the original 35mm print of part 3, you don't know what you're missing. Like Allen Hollis said in his post the opening credits travel "way out" of the screen into the face of the viewer.
Hopefully Shout will make the necessary correction on the replacement disc. I'm still not making the purchase.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The film title pops out in the opening credits of the Blu as it is now; the rest of the credits do not. (None of them did in the anaglyphic version.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks