1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: Frankenstein: The True Story (1973) (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 12 Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.53.03 AM.

The legendary tale was once told in an epic 2-part TV miniseries in 1973’s FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY. Coming to Blu-ray for the first time on March 24th!

Featuring an incredible cast, including Jane Seymour, Agnes Moorehead, Michael Sarrazin, James Mason and Leonard Whiting, this film faithfully retells Mary Shelley's unforgettable story. Victor Frankenstein's medical experimentations result with the shocking discovery that he can revive the dead. But when the creature he brings forth becomes a killer, is anyone safe? Find out in this gruesome, heart-pounding thriller created by legendary talents such as screenwriter Christopher Isherwood and makeup artist Roy Ashton.

Key art will be reversible as shown, with the newly illustrated art (the left image, courtesy of Mark Maddox) front facing.

Extras to be announced on a later date. Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/frankenstein-the-true-story?product_id=7325

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Reggie W and Rodney like this.
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is another great film!

I only have fond memories of it because I first saw it on TV as a kid and loved it.

I revisited it on DVD a few years back, loved the first part, but felt it went kind of off-beat towards the end.

Still, a day one purchase!

Bryan^H likes this.
  3. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Been waiting for this for some time.

have had the DVD for years.

Got my hopes up a few years ago when a French release came out, but that ended up (based on reports) being a bad SD upscale. (Although I did like the artwork for the case)

Shout/Scream have done well in the past, so hopefully this lives up to their reputation. Listed runtime indicates this is original mini-series, and not the cut overseas theatrical version.

4. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Wow, day one purchase for me as well. I wrote about this tv-movie when the French release was announced:

Randy Korstick likes this.
  5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Does this season include scenes in the Arctic?

6. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit

Jeff Brooks
    I was 12 when I saw this on TV, and it gave me nightmares. I have the DVD on the shelf, and have not watched it. I think I would like to see how it looks on Blu; but, I'll wait for the price to come down.

7. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

If you are asking if this mini-series has scenes set in the arctic, that would be yes.

[​IMG]

Johnny Angell likes this.
  8. Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone Stunt Coordinator

I have had the DVD as well. While I am looking forward to getting it on Blu-Ray the DVD is still very watchable.

9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    The reason I asked is because this series was bragging about being true to the novel, and the arctic does occur in the novel.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

11. Dan_Shane

Dan_Shane Stunt Coordinator

Dan Shane
    Well, "true to the novel" is a relative description at best. The show maybe comes closer to the book than most films, and it does include settings (like the arctic) that traditionally have been ignored on screen, but it also takes its own detours. This is especially true of its handling of The Creature.

Even so, it ranks very near the top of my list of adaptations. It is so good that it convinced my mother (who normally disdained anything "horror") to read the book!

12. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    There was a book ... Shelly, you can't be serious ;) !