What's new

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: Brotherhood of the Wolf (EXTENDED CUT) (2001) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I'm the person begging for the theatrical cut. :) The disc will certainly have the Director's Cut, there's no question of that.

The Director's Cut is the version that has been released all over the world on BD, from numerous distributors. Most are OOP, I believe, but then lots of BDs are OOP at this point.

The theatrical cut has only been released twice on BD, to my knowledge. Once along with the DC in Germany, with only German subtitles, and once on a super rare Brazilian disc, with English subtitles. I've never been able to track down the Brazilian disc.

So far, there has been no mention from Shout of a new transfer, it's entirely possible the main feature on the disc will be the same HD transfer of the DC used in every other market.

I have the UK BD. I bought it thinking it was the original French/US theatrical cut. At the time I did not realize there was an entirely different UK theatrical/home video cut. The UK cut is a hybrid of the French/US theatrical cut and the DC. It includes scenes from the DC, but also deletes a major subplot that's present in both other versions.

It's fiendishly difficult to compare versions by running time, because it's a European film, so many DVDs of it have PAL speedup, and the running times are close enough to get them confused.

Other than Shoult's listed running time, which matches the DC, they haven't said a word about which cuts they plan to include.

An absolutely definitive set would include all three cuts, but they may not be able to license the UK cut, and it's no great loss, because it doesn't have any unique material.

I hope with all my heart they include both the DC and the theatrical cut, because there's a scene in the DC that absolutely ruins the heart of the film, to me.

In the theatrical cut, the hero, Fronsac is convinced by the Royal Huntsman to abandon the town, go back to Paris and pretend the wolf they stuffed is the monster. He is torn about this, and after another girl is killed in the town, he returns.

In the DC, he does not return purely for noble reasons, he returns because of an additional scene, where he is about to sail off on a scientific expedition, and receives a letter from the girl he fell in love with in the town, saying she still loves him, and asking him to come back. It's a much more selfish motivation, and lessens his character enormously.

The UK cut removes the entire subplot of the Royal Huntsman, further ruining the middle of the film. The UK theatrical cut was created after the French theatrical cut, as I understand it. The removal of that subplot was a mistake and the DC wisely reinstated that subplot.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
The photo on the Amazon product page clearly shows this is a 2-disc set.

Even if Shout licensed all the extensive documentaries and featurettes from the Canadian 3-DVD set (which I hope they managed), I have to assume those were all created in SD back in 2002, so I can't imagine they would take up much data space on the discs.

I have to hope that 2 discs means we're likely to get both the theatrical cut and the director's cut.

As for the third cut, the UK cut, I would assume that only the UK distributor has access to it, and there's really nothing worthwhile in it, from what I can remember. It adds the deleted scenes included in the DC, but entirely removes the subplot of the Royal Hunter, thus the final running time is roughly the same as the US/French theatrical cut. The filmmakers clearly realized that the deletion of the Royal Hunter subplot damaged the middle of the movie severely, because they reinstated it for the DC. The UK cut has no exclusive footage, from what I remember, so it's of value only to true completists, and they can always buy the UK BD.

The French/US theatrical cut (which has never had a proper HD release with English subs) and the DC, combined with the extras from the 3-DVD Canadian set, would make this set definitive, in my mind. :)

Koschei

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Just wanted to caution folks on this version. Shout apparently did not port the English subs from previous versions over. I have no idea what they actually did, but the subs are atrocious. Links below provide screenshots.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z0y...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15FO...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wA-...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ebO...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xQP...ew?usp=sharing

This is, frankly, infuriating. The film is 20 years old and has had multiple home video releases before, all of them with superior subtitling.

I'm done preordering for Shout. They don't get my money going forward until I've read reviews of their releases.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Could you explain WHAT is so atrocious about them? Are they incorrect? Too large? Font not right? Is the placement problematic? They look like pretty standard subtitles to me. Having never seen this film on home video I have no frame of reference here.

Last edited:

Koschei

Agent
Real Name
Michael
There are places where instead of translating the actual spoken dialogue - places where all previous versions have the actual translation - this version just says [incomprehensible].

Also, it's clear whoever (or whatever program) is doing the translating doesn't know what they're doing.

See the translation below. That is absolutely NOT what's being said in French.

BOTW 1.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is of great concern.

I am ready to cancel my preorder for this expensive release if it hasn't been done right.

Just need to find out definitively if there is a subtitle issue here or not. I am not watching this film dubbed.

If there is an issue, Shout Factory needs to be contacted before these discs ship so they can correct the issue.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There are places where instead of translating the actual spoken dialogue - places where all previous versions have the actual translation - this version just says [incomprehensible].

Also, it's clear whoever (or whatever program) is doing the translating doesn't know what they're doing.

View attachment 104590
Thanks for the clarification.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just canceled my Amazon preorder. I'll wait for reviews and if there is an issue, a hopeful recall.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric

View attachment 104590
So is this Shout! release the same outdated transfer that Studio Canal released to the French market in 2008?
Or as Dr. Svet said "The high-definition transfer Studio Canal used was struck from a dated source most likely prepared for their LE SDVD of the film, which was produced long before they started releasing on Blu-ray."

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Le-Pacte-des-Loups-Blu-ray/1899/#Review
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Brotherhood-of-the-Wolf-Blu-ray/8149/

Low definition with grain soft and mushy?
leBihan.jpeg

Haloing on contrasty edges (right door frame edge)?
apresmorte.jpeg

Oddly boosted reds (look at those fluorescent lips)
jeunefille.jpeg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
So is this Shout! release the same outdated transfer that Studio Canal released to the French market in 2008?
Or as Dr. Svet said "The high-definition transfer Studio Canal used was struck from a dated source most likely prepared for their LE SDVD of the film, which was produced long before they started releasing on Blu-ray."

Low definition with grain soft and mushy?

Geez, you know a disc is REALLY bad when Dr. Svet can't bring himself to give it 5 stars. :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is disappointing news as I was planning on getting this. Seems like Shouts quality control is not as high as it used to be. Some of their recent horror film releases have been very disappointing too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is disappointing news as I was planning on getting this. Seems like Shouts quality control is not as high as it used to be. Some of their recent horror film releases have been very disappointing too.

They really screw up sometimes!

Jesus of Nazareth is a prime example. They released it to Blu-ray with an entire scene missing. Many fans of the mini-series had to seek out the release from Mexico to get the missing scene.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From Shout Factory...

Hi,

We are offering a replacement program to correct errors in the English subtitle track found on disc 1 on The Brotherhood Of The Wolf (Collector’s Edition).

If you would like to sign up to receive the corrected disc at no cost to you, please go to shoutfactory.com/replacement/brotherhood-of-the-wolf-collector-s-edition and follow the instructions on the form. Please note that if you live outside the US and Canada, you will need to use a freight forwarding service to receive the replacement disc.

When filling out your form, you will need to upload a copy of your proof of purchase (photo or scan of receipt or digital receipt from online retailer).

Corrected discs will be marked with “R1” on them. They will be shipped in a rigid cardboard mailer and the disc will be placed in an individual sleeve to protect it further in transit.

Corrected discs will be available by mid-October of 2021. There’s a possibility they may arrive sooner, and we will make every attempt to ship them to you as soon as it is possible.

Thanks for your understanding,
Shout!

Customer Service
Shout! Factory
1640 S. Sepulveda Blvd.
Ste. 400
Los Angeles, CA 90025
[email protected]

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nice, but I'd rather someone actually take the time to get it right before it goes out the door than have to jump through hoops to get another replacement disc. What's so difficult about checking the subtitles before the discs are pressed?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nice, but I'd rather someone actually take the time to get it right before it goes out the door than have to jump through hoops to get another replacement disc. What's so difficult about checking the subtitles before the discs are pressed?

You are absolutely right to feel that way.

Not like other studios have screwed up on stuff only to do the same kind of recall, but again, someone should have taken the time to check something as simple as subtitles on a foreign film.

I am going to wait for October for the reissue. But even more probable, I will import the Studio Canal 4k release once it is announced.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Little mistakes unfortunately happen, however Shout has always been good about fixing those mistakes and getting replacement discs out in a timely manner unlike studio releases and other boutique companies.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Little mistakes unfortunately happen, however Shout has always been good about fixing those mistakes and getting replacement discs out in a timely manner unlike studio releases and other boutique companies.
Agreed, but this always ends up putting the burden on the consumer to request the fixed product, and I would think it adds significant expense to the bottom line of the label to produce that title, to basically have them pressed twice. Unless they can trace the fault to a different party and have them foot the bill.

It just seems like it would save everyone on both sides a lot of effort and expense to have better attention to detail before the discs are pressed in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks