What's new

SCREAM 1-3 (Blu-Ray DVD Details) (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
FANGORIA: March 29 sees SCREAM, SCREAM 2 and SCREAM 3 hitting Blu-ray, each sporting new 1080p hi-def 16x9 transfers in 2.35:1 widescreen, with DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio. The extras (ported over from the previous special-edition DVDs, though they’re currently subject to change) are as follows:

SCREAM

• Audio commentary by director Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson

• Production featurette

• Behind the Scenes: “On the Scream Set” and “Drew Barrymore”

• Q&A with the cast and crew

• Theatrical trailer

SCREAM 2

• Audio commentary by director Wes Craven, producer Marianne Maddalena and editor Patrick Lussier

• Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Craven, Maddalena and Lussier

• Outtakes

• Featurette

• Theatrical trailer

SCREAM 3

• Audio commentary with director Wes Craven, producer Marianne Maddalena and editor Patrick Lussier

• Deleted scenes and alternate ending with optional commentary by Craven, Maddalena and Lussier

• Outtakes

• Behind-the-scenes montage

• Theatrical trailer

Retail price is $19.98 each. Cover art for all of these is coming soon.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't guess there's much chance of the director's cut of the first film being included?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
There ought to be a minimum number of minutes before something can be called a "Director's Cut". 3 seconds doesn't cut it in my book.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

There ought to be a minimum number of minutes before something can be called a "Director's Cut". 3 seconds doesn't cut it in my book.

I'll gladly take 3 seconds that were originally intended to be in the movie over 15 minutes of pointless deleted scenes that should stayed deleted but are only added back in so the studio can re-sell a movie. Just because a movie has every scene that was shot added back in, it's not necessarily better.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Luisito34

Ridiculous. A director shouldn't be allowed to prefer a version of his movie that's too close to the theatrical version? I'm more concerned about extended editions that are labeled "director's cuts" in spite of the director having nothing to do with the version in question or explicitly saying he prefers the original version (such as Alien and Blade Runner).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I think it's a little more than 3 seconds, but unless the director's cut was cut together in standard definition video (which, I admit, is a possibility), it should be quite easy to seamlessly branch with the theatrical cut. We'll see, I guess.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It would have been easy to branch it on DVD, too, but the studio was simply not interested in doing so. I got the director's cut on laserdisc and later imported the Japanese DVD which has both versions.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Found this news on DIGITAL BITS, they seem to think SCREAM is gonna be the theatrical version: "[COLOR= #000000]First, Lionsgate has announced the Blu-ray Disc release of the Scream Trilogy - Scream, Scream 2 and Scream 3 on 3/29. Deletes scenes, featurettes and audio commentaries are among the extras that will be included. SRP is $19.99 each. (We believe Scream is the theatrical version, but we're trying to confirm.)"[/COLOR]

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck

...unless the director's cut was cut together in standard definition video (which, I admit, is a possibility)...

I hadn't even thought of that. I've still got the laserdisc so it's not the end of the world but I do hope that Craven's version of the movie gets released.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by TravisR

I'll gladly take 3 seconds that were originally intended to be in the movie over 15 minutes of pointless deleted scenes that should stayed deleted but are only added back in so the studio can re-sell a movie. Just because a movie has every scene that was shot added back in, it's not necessarily better.

I'm not talking about a "better" movie. All I'm saying is a few seconds of gore or mayhem cut out vs. what we saw in a movie theater (for this particular film) just seems like a lot of ballyhoo over nothing. I mean, there are people out there throwing fits over this.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I can confirm that the Blu-ray of Scream is the R-rated theatrical cut (and nothing more).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

I can confirm that the Blu-ray of Scream is the R-rated theatrical cut (and nothing more).

No point in re-purchasing this set, then. My DVD's will do just fine.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

No point in re-purchasing this set, then. My DVD's will do just fine.

This was truly the reason I had Adam request review copies. I knew it was what people here would care about most, because it's certainly something I would want to know.

On a quick glance, I don't see any new extras, and it doesn't appear that the extras from the bonus disc in the "ultimate" box set have been included (but I might be wrong about that). The main attraction appears to be hi-def image and lossless audio. Whether that justifies an upgrade is a matter of individual judgment.

3/29 is turning out to be a busy release day, at least for me; so I'm not sure when I'll get to full reviews. I have Mad Men 4 and several others to finish first.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd greatly prefer the unrated cut but it won't stop me from buying the Blu-rays because this is probably the best that there's going to be until a new video format.

Are you going off the ratings info on the case or are you familiar with the unrated cut? Yes, I'm the pathetic optimist who just keeps hoping against all odds. [/url]

3/29 is turning out to be a busy release day, at least for me; so I'm not sure when I'll get to full reviews. I have Mad Men 4 and several others to finish first.

[/quote]
Yeah, next week is the biggest for me since probably October or November. Beyond the Screams and Mad Men, there's Black Swan and the first season of Treme.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

It's been a while, but yes I'm familiar. And knowing that someone would ask, I spun up the disc long enough to look at the conclusion of the Drew Barrymore opening. Unless my memory is way off (which is certainly possible), this is the theatrical cut.

. . . Mad Men . . .

You don't need me to tell you it was a good season. I'm nearly finished watching, and the presentation remains up to standards.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
That's disappointing, but not surprising. I'll probably buy it anyway, for the HD image, but I'll be sure to hold onto the Director's Cut DVD, too. I'm glad the Blu-ray at least has the commentary.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Originally Posted by cafink

That's disappointing, but not surprising. I'll probably buy it anyway, for the HD image, but I'll be sure to hold onto the Director's Cut DVD, too. I'm glad the Blu-ray at least has the commentary.

I didn't think the director's cut had ever been released on DVD. For that matter, I didn't think even an anamorphic DVD of the first film was ever released. That alone would make a Blu-ray upgrade worth it to me.

Is my mind playing tricks on me? Is there actually an anamorphic director's cut DVD out there?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck

I didn't think the director's cut had ever been released on DVD. For that matter, I didn't think even an anamorphic DVD of the first film was ever released. That alone would make a Blu-ray upgrade worth it to me.

Is my mind playing tricks on me? Is there actually an anamorphic director's cut DVD out there?

There was a Japanese DVD release of the director's cut. In R1, there was two different non-anamorphic R rated releases back in the early years of DVD. The only U.S. release of the director's cut was the 1997 laserdisc.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Quote:

There was a Japanese DVD release of the director's cut. In R1, there was two different non-anamorphic R rated releases back in the early years of DVD. The only U.S. release of the director's cut was the 1997 laserdisc.

I didn't know about the Japanese DVD; interesting. I thought I remembered hearing that the director's cut has slipped out on one of the pan-and-scan VHS releases, but I'm not sure.

Of course, we are talking about a few seconds here and there, but sometimes that's all it takes to make a difference in tone (Robocop, for example).

Still, that's really not enough to keep me from getting the first movie on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks