What's new

Scratched CD repair DSOTM immersion set. (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, of late, I’ve been doing a lot of collecting of older releases that are out of print and having to find discs via eBay and discogs.

So far, I’ve had great luck, and spent a lot, on new sealed discs. Occasionally I’ve found used discs in good to great shape. All played fine.

At the time the Pink Floyd immersion sets came out for Dark Side Of the Moon, I passed and just bought the stand along two CD set. But as time passed, my thinking changed, I decided to grab the set a few weeks ago. I really was curious to hear the high resolution blu rays of the uncompressed files of the new 5.1. It, 1973 Original stereo, and the quad mix . I picked up a brand new still plastic sealed box for a reasonable price ( not far from MSRP) from the UK. It survived the trip across the Atlantic and arrived in perfect shape. When I opened it, the four discs on the bottom of the box had all dislodged from the spindles. As a result, the two CDs and 2 DVD’s are scuffed and scratched. I tried one CD and one DVD and they seem playable. But look bad. Fortunately, the prize of the set I really wanted was the blu ray and the uncompressed high resolution files. That disc was in a separate sleeve and was fine, and it does play and sounds great.

It was very disappointing the other four discs are damaged. I did some research and found that the dislodged discs were a common problem for this set, it’s making me think twice before chasing the immersion set for Wish You Were Here.

At any rate, I’ve been looking at the various solutions to remove the scratches. Toothpaste is a common one. Another is PlastX from Mequirs, a plastic polish. And I saw the machine that you place the disc in that has sanding discs of various grits that finely sand the disc to resurface the face of the disc. That’s probably more then is neccesary as the scuffs don’t look that deep. The discs are scuffed from rubbing on the plastic spindle hubs on the box.

Any thoughts and advise would be appreciated. I imagine I could just leave them if they are playable, but my anal side can’t let it go. Thanks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the inputs guys. I picked up a bottle of Meguiar's Plastx yesterday. I gave it a shot on one of the discs. I had no real expectations of getting the disc factory perfect. But so far the results look pretty good. There's a still a few scratches on the surface, plus the expected micro scratches from the polish itself which you can see if you place the disc under a strong light source. So far, so good. A little more effort to see if I can get the last bit of the scratches out, but I know that I probably can't do too much better then this with this process. It's mainly satisfying to see the main scuffs and scratches removed.

The polished disc on the left and the still damaged disc on the right.

Disc repair1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks