What's new

Scratched and scuffed discs becoming common? (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Well I received my replacement Star Trek TOS Seasons 1 and 2 replacement sets from Amazon today.

Of the 5 discs that were scuffed/scratched first time round I was able to replace... 1 (!) with a perfect copy. The others were just the same or worse!

I since received Season 3 and, true to form, 2 of those discs are scratched aswell. I really can't be bothered sending them back.

Thanks Paramount. If this shoddy workmanship continues on into the forthcoming Enterprise sets then you just lost a sale.

John

PS. Neither the replacement TOS sets, or the Season 3 set I just got, had "Made In Mexico" stickers on them.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Hmmm... as a reviewer, I probably receive more Paramount product than most people here (on the order of 100 titles a year from the studio). This is in no way to diminish the problems some of you are having, but I have had little trouble with disc damage from Paramount - and I receive the same retail packages, packed in Mexico.

TNG discs damaged: 1, but the scuff was on the label side - still playable
DS9 discs damaged: 0
TOS discs damaged: 1 - but playable
Voyager discs damaged: 0

Paramount movie discs damaged: 2 - one playable, one has one skip.

On the other hand, Fox digipacks that I purchase have multiple damaged discs in each set, almost every time. (Buffy, Angel, 24)

I wonder what's going on in the distribution channels, here. It seems to me that, with the Fox digipacks, the problem is with hub design. Rough handling during shipping causes many floaters. Having not seen the problem with Paramount, I can't say if the problem occurs in packaging, shipping, or repackaging (i.e. Best Buy sets opened and re-packed to include bonus discs).

-Scott

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Well, every one of my ST:TOS discs, across all three sets (including replacements), was firmly secure on its hub at the point of delivery/opening. There's no way they could have come loose in transit anyway, they're packed pretty tightly on flip-over CD jewel trays.

So I guess it's the process of putting the discs on the trays in the first place that's causing the damage. It's weird that disc 4 of both S2 sets that i've tried was in a right mess (4 or 5 large fingerprint marks), yet both disc 2s and disc 3s were perfect. Coincidence?

Set 2, Disc 7 of the replacement set has a 2-inch long scrape along the playing surface. This, in my opinion, is just not acceptable, especially at £100 a set. I am now seriously regretting selling my old Trek discs :-(

Are the studios aware of this problem?

John

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I just purchased both Macgyver S1 and Dukes of Hazzard S2. BOTH sets had scuffed/scratched discs, and I got Dukes replaced (the new set seems to be fine, aside from a fingerprint that I need to clean), but Macgyver was sold out in every Walmart I tried. I am going to try again when new stock is received, but I am not holding my breath. If there is a collective cry of dissatisfaction, I would definately be interested in joining in!

DaleC

Agent
Does anyone have suggestions for fixing scratches like this on disks? I have the Babylon 5 series, and the last disk of the series is scratched. It affects the very end of the last episode, which peeves me off beyond belief--especially when I get so involved in the show. The strange thing is that the first time I played the disk it worked fine, but the second, it started skipping in the same place on different players. There is also noticable scratchign on the disk surface. I'm looking for a good way to correct this, if there is one. I've seen those "Disc Doctor" things around. Has anyone tried that? Does it work?

John H Ross

Screenwriter

You and me both! It's bad enough when a single film is scuffed. You can replace it - again, and again, and again. But when it's a $100 boxed set, and there's 2 or 3 scuffed discs, and you have to watch every disc just to see what plays and what doesn't, then try a new set, and make sure THEY all play, then try and put together a good combination, all the while going back to the store, or paying return postage to Amazon, or whatever... well it just isn't on really, is it?

I, for one, am reluctant to buy any more sets - either TV or film (I also had probs with The Matrix set) related.

Seriously, can HTF take this forward on members' behalves? I'm sure the people who have contributed to this thread are not the only ones affected, we're just the ones who notice/care.

Please?

John

DaveK

Second Unit

Dave...
I'm having the same problem with mine. I sent it back to movies unlimited to be replaced, and the picture is still blurry. Not to mention the sound and color is not as good as what is shown on Nick-at-Nite. Did you return yours to Anchor Bay???

Dave Farley

Second Unit

I eventually convinced Best Buy to take it back and give me another set even though I was outside of the return window. My replacement set had three good discs and one badly scuffed disc 3. I opened another and finally got a good one. It seems okay now.

DaveK

Second Unit

I guess I'll have to send mine directly to Anchor Bay for replacement if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks