Scratch repair

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Barto, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Mike Barto

Mike Barto Extra

Hello all
    I have done a number of searches and cannot find an answer to my question. How does everyone repair and clean scratched and dirty discs? Also what products do you use and how are your results? because I have a disk that skips and then stops and will not go forward.
    Thanks, Mike

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have used very fine grade car polish. You want to avoid anything with heavy adrasive.

A couple polishes I have used are Griotts Garage Fine Hand Polish, and 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

FTR, I had these for use on my car, but they both work fine with light screcthes on CDs and DVDs. I think there are CD Scratch Repair kits out there as well, but have not ried them.

BGL

3. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i posted this over on avs forum this morning:

a very long time ago i fixed a cd that was dropped on concrete (by my boss!) by polishing it with toothpaste. still works fine 17 years later. i bought a disk doctor a few months ago to repair a dvd that came back from a loan. it was so scratched that it hung up at a certain point and wouldnt play. works fine now! not loaning discs out to her anymore, thats fer sure.

sm.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

My youngest uses some product made by 3M and we've used tootpaste too. I like the 3M simply because that's a company that knows more than a little about abrasives. If it's a CD, I'd look at making a copy of it while I could.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Good call on the Tooth Paste, which is also used in the plastic model community to polish out car windshields and airplane canopies.

And it smells nice too.

BGL