1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Scratch in center channel during high pitch sound

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DylanTS, Sep 19, 2003.

1. DylanTS

DylanTS Auditioning

Hi all,

First off, I'd like to thank you all for your help, I've been reading a lot through here, and I (like others) have recently created an account and am posting my first message. I've been interested in home theater since the day I decided to buy a DVD player instead of a VCR. Since then, I've been adding elements.

I bought Acoustic Research equipment to begin with, a couple bookshelf speakers in the front, a 10" AR sub, and then their Stature Series SC-2 center channel. But recently I bought Paradigm Monitor 7's to replace the bookshelf speakers in the front (I love these speakers!), and just a couple days ago, bought the matching center, CC-370. I still use my "old" Kenwood VR-309 receiver and a plain Sony DVD player (DVP-S360).

I was watching LOTR, when I noticed during the dialog parts of the movie, when someone would say something high pitch, the center seemed to scratch or distort. I played it over and over again, and heard the same scratch, and the volume didn't seem to matter -- high or low. I switched back to my AR center and heard the same scratch/distortion. I tried using another speaker wire, no difference. I tried other movies, and during high pitch dialog I heard the same thing.

So I don't know what it is, I don't think it's the speaker because I tried another and heard the same distortion. Maybe it's the receiver? Maybe it's acoustics? The room is 15' by 15' and opens to a kitchen. It's an apartment, so white walls with nothing much on them. The thing is, no matter where I stood in the room it sounded the same. I haven't heard any distortion or scratching in music, it only seems to be in movies.

Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, and thanks again for all the help you've already given me,
    Dylan Smith

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Lots of DVDs have dialog that "crackles". Unfortunately, the better your equipment is, the more you will notice this. Blame the people who master the DVDs.

3. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

Dylan,

After installing my new system about a year ago (Paradigm speakers and Anthem separates), I found myself hearing the same thing. There are certain DVD's where the dialog will sound that way because the recording is flawed. There is distortion recorded on the DVD.

As Kwang said, the better your equipment, the more likely it is you will hear flaws in source material. I went as far as writing down the exact time this distortion occured on about a dozen movies I own, and I took the same DVD's to my dealer. I played the DVD's in other equipment, listening for the same distortion, and I heard it again, though it wasn't always as loud as it is on my own equipment.

The problem is with the DVD's, not your equipment!

If you're still unsure, write down the time this occurs on certain DVD's and take the same DVD's to a showroom somewhere and listen there. I'm sure you will hear the same distortion on other good equipment.

I was extremely skeptical that it was the DVD, because it was occuring on big-budget productions, like Braveheart. But, lo and behold, the distortion was there regardless of the system I played it on.

James

4. DylanTS

DylanTS Auditioning

Thanks for you help, I would have never guessed it's the DVD's themselves! And the fact that the better my equipment gets, the more I hear it -- is just not encouraging.[​IMG]