1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

scrambled picture on DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sathyan, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

I'm trying to help my friend use his DVD player [1]. The TV is used for both audio and video. First we tried connecting the a/v cable from the DVD a/v out to the TV's video2 in. There was sound but no picture. Tried two known-good DVDs (Das Boot; The Who at RAH). At first I thought the video cable was bad so tried it with the cable box and it worked fine there. So maybe the composite video out on the DVD player isn't working, so rounded up a few more video cables and hooked up component video (after disconnecting the composite). Now we had something on the screen but the actual video was very dark, it was jumping around, it was displayed double (split left and right), large red "v"'s moved across the screen.
    Neither of us has an s-video to try that.
    All the TV settings appear fine (and look correct when watching CATV).
    Can't change menu-based DVD settings as picture won't stay still enough to read them.

Any ideas?

thanks
    Sathyan

[1] DVD player: Polaroid DVC 2000 http://www.polaroidelectronics.com/p...DVC%202000.asp
    TV: Toshiba 20AF42 http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...p?model=20af43

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Sounds like you may have crossed the component cables; i.e., hooked "red" out from the DVD player to "blue" in on the TV, etc.

3. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

As far as the component video goes, I've seen the scrambled screen before when one of my component cables was loose. Make sure the connection is good and snug, and make sure you have the cables connected correctly, as Jeff suggested.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    TV does not appear to be HD ready, and the player may be set to progressive, in which case the TV cannot display the image. Hopefully, you can set the player to interlaced somewhere other than the OSD setup or you may have a big problem.

5. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

make sure you do not have the dvd player set to pal, set to ntsc

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes I'd say the player is setup for progressive and you are using an analog (interlaced only) TV. Look for a switch on the back of the DVD player to force interlaced mode. If there is none, you would need to connect to an HDTV to access the player's setup menu to select interlaced.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

8. Ken_B

Ken_B Auditioning

Yep. TV spec sheet mentions "interlaced" but not "progressive."
    There should be a setting on the DVD player (physical or in on-screen set-up routine), or it may have two different component video output jacks (one marked "Progressive"). If the DVD player's only component video output is progressive the next best thing would be S-Video. And many DVD players have settings to designate the output.

I'd agree with the suggestion of using the composite video (yellow) jack until you get the player properly configured for your set-up.

9. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Ok, its fixed now.
    One of the component video cables was wrong and it was on progressive.

They put a button to switch between interlaced and progressive on the remote (labeled "i/p") which apparently had been pressed at some point.