What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (8 Viewers)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I completely agree. Roddenberry was flat out wrong about that one.
The thing that really made me mad was when they Killed Rene and Picards Brother in Star Trek Generations. Ive addressed that in this Thread before so I am not going to go over the 500 Objections I had to that again

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The thing that really made me mad was when they Killed Rene and Picards Brother in Star Trek Generations. Ive addressed that in this Thread before so I am not going to go over the 500 Objections I had to that again

I understood from a storytelling perspective why they did it, but it was a real gut punch to longtime fans like us, that’s for sure.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I will address it for the 1,000th time. It was terrible, terrible writing. A really lazy choice. I hate it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, I understand why they were made (though TPTB made some serious missteps on "Code"), just don't understand why those are the ones they led off with, unless they were in a similar situation as in the '60s, in that they didn't have many "in the can." As we all probably remember, Bob Justman was there that first year, too.

It wasn't a matter of what was done, as far as I remember. They led with this episode for the specific reason I mentioned.

I have zero idea about "Code of Honor."

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't a matter of what was done, as far as I remember. They led with this episode for the specific reason I mentioned.

Well, if that's why they did it, they definitely made a poor decision, as the initial reviews for that episode trashed it for being a literal re-make/rip-off of an original series episode. "The Last Outpost" or "Where No One Has Gone Before" would have been better alternatives, if they had a choice.

I can appreciate "Naked Now" now (and it does have some good moments), but on "night of broadcast" in 1987, it seemed to be a potential bad sign for the show's success. The following week certainly didn't help, either.

Thank goodness that there were at least a few really good episodes before the mid-season break (esp. "Where No One..." and "Haven"). When the show came back in January with "The Big Goodbye", it was finally firing on all cylinders.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Although, I imagine they removed them to encourage people to actually buy the 4K releases (and eventually the TNG films in that format).
I did my part on the TOS crew films and when the TNG films come I’ll get them too. Probably no chance we’ll see the original series or TNG tv shows in 4KUHD though right?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I wouldn't count on it. TNG didn't sell that well on BD as it is and unless they went back and fixed the dozens of glitches in TOS, I've gone as far as I intend to with it. I see Shatner's toupee line too much as it is in regular HD. I don't need to see anything else they never meant for me to notice.

But everyone's mileage varies.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I just finished a viewing marathon — Enterprise, the original series, Next Generation and Voyager — and like them in TOS, Voyager, Enterprise and Next Gen order. It was particularly fun to see how Enterprise's writers tried to make things match up with the original series, which follows them chronologically. The biggest weakness in Next Gen is at the center: To me, Picard is a stuffed shirt allergic to anything enjoyable. Kirk has the most sense of humor about himself, Archer the most realistic, and Janeway is very consistent and comfortable with who she is. Voyager's crew is the most interesting; Enterprise's crew is uneven (but I like T'Pol a lot), Next Gen's crew, like its captain, is too full of themselves; and the original's Big Three and what I call the "second three" (Scotty, Sulu, Chekov) are, well, unbeatable. (I didn't bother with Deep Space 9. The few episodes I saw in original run did nothing for me.)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't count on it. TNG didn't sell that well on BD as it is and unless they went back and fixed the dozens of glitches in TOS, I've gone as far as I intend to with it. I see Shatner's toupee line too much as it is in regular HD. I don't need to see anything else they never meant for me to notice.

But everyone's mileage varies.
I actually bought TOS and TNG as well as TAS on Blu Ray. While I did not notice Shatner being anything other than full of himself as usual. I did notice some of the screens on the Bridge wrinkled and the the Enterprise isn’t as white as it looks on television

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve continued my TNG revisit with Journey’s End and Where No One Has Gone before with the Traveller. Arsenal of Freedom, Coming of Age last week and tonight 11001001. 11001001 is a very memorable episode as is Arsenal of Freedom.

What’s also interesting for me is I’m catching a few episodes of Spenser for Hire. Carolyn McCormick replaces Barbara’s Stock in the second season, though I liked Barbara better. But Carolyn is great as Minuet and she returns in season 4.

Also interesting is Avery Brooks co-stars on Spenser as Hawk. Interesting to re-see his younger performance as an enforcer. I think that a little of that character’s swagger re-surfaces in Sisko once they let Brooks shave his head.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I actually bought TOS and TNG as well as TAS on Blu Ray. While I did not notice Shatner being anything other than full of himself as usual. I did notice some of the screens on the Bridge wrinkled and the the Enterprise isn’t as white as it looks on television
Shatner played the 60's heroic lead; self confident, dashing and, well, movie star handsome. He was no more smug than, say, Robert Conrad or Chris George (and much less so than Jack Lord). The actor had a very healthy opinion of himself, but I don't think it hurt the character. I gravitated towards him. Hell, the series revolved around him. I'd be pretty cocky too. If I were in a jam in space (a...Space Jam you might say), I'd want Jim Kirk to be the guy in charge of getting me out of there.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Well, if that's why they did it, they definitely made a poor decision, as the initial reviews for that episode trashed it for being a literal re-make/rip-off of an original series episode. "The Last Outpost" or "Where No One Has Gone Before" would have been better alternatives, if they had a choice.

I can appreciate "Naked Now" now (and it does have some good moments), but on "night of broadcast" in 1987, it seemed to be a potential bad sign for the show's success. The following week certainly didn't help, either.

Thank goodness that there were at least a few really good episodes before the mid-season break (esp. "Where No One..." and "Haven"). When the show came back in January with "The Big Goodbye", it was finally firing on all cylinders.
At least they didn't remake "Spock's Brain"!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks