What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Josh! That gives me an idea, I haven’t seen the Data and Lore episodes in a while.

I have no idea what season 3 of Picard will be to do any viewings that would prepare for it. With Seven still part of the crew, it seems like new territory of saving the Alpha Quadrant. :)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
watching the trouble with Tribbles. Captain Kirk confined Scotty to quarters. He was happy about it because he got to catch up on his technical journals. Then Kirk found tribbles in his chicken sandwich and coffee

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
THIRTY-FIVE YEARS! I remember it like it was yesterday!

The original television trailer:

It was on a local affiliate station at 10pm so I had to watch it a day later. Loved the new show and I watched regularly as it was new Star Trek!

I still need to pick up the Blu-ray sets.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
In the Philadelphia market where I was based, I was excited to know that the show was made with stereo sound. This was a new thing back then. Unfortunately the affiliate that picked up the show, channel 29, did not have stereo capability, so all we got was standard mono - and that held throughout the run of the series.

I made sure that I had a good outdoor antenna to pick up the signal, and spent a good amount of time comparing the signal on the cable or the antenna to see which was better for recording purposes. Golly, the time and money I spent on blank tapes and recording that show has got to be staggering. Now I have the whole series on Blu-ray and have already tossed out those many VHS tapes I made. Now, multiple that time and money with the subsequent series that I also recorded. And all of those tapes are now long-gone.

I purposely stayed away from any pre-series publicity as I wanted to experience it with no pre-knowledge, and was surprised to see what looked like a top-heavy Enterprise as the new series' ship. For most of the first season, I wasn't crazy about Picard. He seemed grumpy and not the swashbuckler that Kirk was. There were several episodes where he looked like he was going to be written out of the show, and I really thought they were going to make the Riker character the lead. That of course never happened and I ultimately came to really like the Picard character.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Man, I remember watching some of those first run episodes practically holding the rabbit ears trying to get some reception. And now I can watch anyone I want, anytime I want. How far we’ve come!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was jazzed when it aired, I watched it at my girlfriend's house (while my sister taped it at home) and when Picard said "prepare for emergency saucer sep" I was like "holy $hiite!" My GF asked what was so exciting and I had to explain that the Enterprise always had the ability to separate but never did. So this was a BIG DEAL!

Meh. She didn't get it, but I loved her, so it was all good.

TNG, even though time made it my least favorite of the Trek's until Paramount + made more, was the ONLY Trek sequel show I watched every single week and recorded. Every show after I gave up on but went back to later. TNG isn't a "rewatch" kinda show for me, but I loved it for those 7 years.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In the Philadelphia market where I was based, I was excited to know that the show was made with stereo sound. This was a new thing back then. Unfortunately the affiliate that picked up the show, channel 29, did not have stereo capability, so all we got was standard mono - and that held throughout the run of the series.

I made sure that I had a good outdoor antenna to pick up the signal, and spent a good amount of time comparing the signal on the cable or the antenna to see which was better for recording purposes. Golly, the time and money I spent on blank tapes and recording that show has got to be staggering. Now I have the whole series on Blu-ray and have already tossed out those many VHS tapes I made. Now, multiple that time and money with the subsequent series that I also recorded. And all of those tapes are now long-gone.

I purposely stayed away from any pre-series publicity as I wanted to experience it with no pre-knowledge, and was surprised to see what looked like a top-heavy Enterprise as the new series' ship. For most of the first season, I wasn't crazy about Picard. He seemed grumpy and not the swashbuckler that Kirk was. There were several episodes where he looked like he was going to be written out of the show, and I really thought they were going to make the Riker character the lead. That of course never happened and I ultimately came to really like the Picard character.
Wow, Harry- this story is my story! it was a challenge to get a great signal in my area, still is. But I remember the effort to find a good location for the antenna religiously taped each episode. And I would not leaned them out for fear they’d be erased! I still have the tapes, pondering what to do with them.

And I bought some early laserdiscs of TNG back in the day, then the DVD sets and now we have it in high def! I did the same for every series. Except TOS where I had that on laserdisc prior to the DVD and blu rays. And I knew Enterprise would be on DVD, so I didn’t record that.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Wow, Harry- this story is my story! it was a challenge to get a great signal in my area, still is.
We were in a pretty good location for signal strength. One of the negative things about analog reception was a bit of ghosting on the picture. This Ch. 29 came in well, but many images had a ghostly ring around them. I kept comparing the antenna signal with the cable, and cable had a bit more noise, while antenna had a bit more ghosting. Fun times...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! Yes, those were the days. Though today instead of ghosting, I get pixellation or no image from particularly weak signals.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That sounds familiar! I was the new kid, the fat kid, and the weird kid - three strikes and yer out! :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched Datalore last night as part of the 35th. Hard to believe the time flew by. Of course for the TNG cast, they had a different experience then the TOS cast. The TNG cast benefited by Star Trek’s popularity and it was never in doubt the show would return in some form.

I chose Datalore over Encounter at Farpoint as I’d seen the pilot quite often. Datalore I’d seen several times too, but not very recently. Plus it’s part of my themed plan to see the other Data-Lore episodes. I’d forgotten a bit how young Wil Wheaton was and flying the ship too! I can see why fans would hate him because he’s the on;y one who saw a problem. But on top of that, I really hated Lore. And that’s probably a compliment to Brent Spinner. He really plays Data with such purity and innocence, but his early episodes were slightly different then how he nailed it in the third year I thought. But I really found Lore evil and such an awful character.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The TNG cast benefited by Star Trek’s popularity and it was never in doubt the show would return in some form.

Well, until roughly sometime between "Heart of Glory" and "The Best of Both Worlds" (and the many failings of "Star Trek V"), the Next Generation actually caused a split in fandom (and in the original cast). I remember many folks supposedly "hated" the thought of any Star Trek that didn't include the original crew, so therefore hated TNG without even seeing an episode, and several original cast members being very skeptical that the new cast could capture "lightning in a bottle" for a second time.

After the rocky start of the first season, opinion began to change, and after Star Trek V laid an egg, any negative comparisons from the original cast had virtually disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks