What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (7 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Now for something completely different...

I was thinking about Star Trek The Motion Picture. What occurred to me was that V‘ger has learned all that is learnable and has been on a long journey amassing all that massive knowledge. If you‘re a viewer of Star Trek Discovery, the sphere data is kind of like that. And morphing itself into the Discovery’s computer sort of gave it sentience.

Thought I’d just mention that, nothing earth shattering. It just occurred to me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It seems particularly fitting for 2020, where a huge part of the covid problem is that people can get and pass on the virus without ever feeling the effects of it themselves. Sevrin doesn’t believe in the science and that’s an issue today as well.
In a similar vein, I just watched The Cloud Minders and was taken aback by the surprisingly relevant discussion about the efficacy of masks to ward off sickness.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of relevancy, tonight I watched the DS9 episode, Far Beyond the Stars. It’s been a while since I’d seen it. The past summer shows that the times have not changed.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I really enjoyed this podcast by Women at Warp about Roddenberry's adaptation of TMP. I thought they were spot on. I remember reading it as a 14 year old and asking myself what all the sex stuff had to do with anything. These girls know their stuff. And had me laughing out loud. https://www.womenatwarp.com/episode-154-book-club-sttmp/

BTW, I always believed Alan Dean Foster ghost wrote it, but I get the impression from this that it's not true.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
JoshEH and I were discussing the book earlier in the thread - Roddenberry did indeed write it and it reflects some of his passions and embrace of sci-fi fads of the time. It’s both very 70s and very futuristic but not quite the future we see in the film. It’s a fascinating alternate take on the same material.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The introduction in the novel by Kirk as if it was a historical document was very similar to what Alan Dean Foster was doing with the novelizations of the Animated episodes in the Log Series. I think this is why that rumor was thrown around at the time of publication.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The introduction in the novel by Kirk as if it was a historical document was very similar to what Alan Dean Foster was doing with the novelizations of the Animated episodes in the Log Series. I think this is why that rumor was thrown around at the time of publication.

One of the guys in inglorious treksperts read passages from the book while doing the voices of gene, shatner and nimoy. It was really good.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I listened to that podcast Osato. I had not heard that episode yet, still catching up on their podcasts. Now I want to re-read the novelization. Darin, I’d forgotten that the novelization‘s intro was written that way. Kind of cheeky. I read that way back in 1979.

i hope we will see the remastered Star Trek The Motion Picture soon.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Women At Warp is a fantastic podcast. Such a fresh perspective on Trek. I never cared much for "Wolf In The Fold" to begin with, but it's a really offensive show to these women. I'm on my 4th episode already.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
And what would they mean by that?
Be afraid ...
1608750982354.png

,,,be very afraid :D!

1608751117156.png

1608751141705.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I’d do a post about an interesting podcast I’m listening to. It’s the Trekmovie podcast and this one is about the documentary film makers who made the series of documentaries that Shatner was involved in producing such as:
  • The Captains
  • The Captains Close-up
  • Chaos On The Bridge
  • Get A Life!
What was said was interesting enough piqued my interest in collecting the Captains set from Shout Factory.

However, there was a much more interesting discussion about the Deep Space Nine documentary, What We Leave Behind. One small segment was the remastering of the DS9 footage and how that effort proved it can be easily done for remastering of the series. It’s a matter of CBS agreeing.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thought I’d do a post about an interesting podcast I’m listening to. It’s the Trekmovie podcast and this one is about the documentary film makers who made the series of documentaries that Shatner was involved in producing such as:
  • The Captains
  • The Captains Close-up
  • Chaos On The Bridge
  • Get A Life!
What was said was interesting enough peak my interest in collecting the Captains set from Shout Factory.

However, there was a much more interesting discussion about the Deep Space Nine documentary, What We Leave Behind. One small segment was the remastering of the DS9 footage and how that effort proved it can be easily done for remastering of the series. It’s a matter of CBS agreeing.

AND paying for it with little expectation of return on investment - even if they release it to CBS ALL ACCESS first (maybe airing it on the Over The Air CBS once-a-week like a new shop a-la Discovery) and then a blu-ray(4K?) release I don't they would get their investment back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks