What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
No doubt like many of you, I’ve accumulated several Star Trek ornaments over the years. Putting up our tree yesterday, my kids were having fun looking at them. I was hanging something when I heard one of them say, “Ew! This one is really ugly! It has things on its hands and on its face! Yuck!”
“What do you have there?” I asked. “The Salt Monster? The Borg Queen? The Horta?”
No, it was Seven of Nine.
“This one?” I said. “You think this one is ugly?”
“Yes,” he said. “She’s disgusting.”
“Oh yeah?” my wife said. “Wait a few years.”

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I actually do not have any Trek ornaments and this year is gonna be the first time my wife and I get a tree together (in years past we spent the holiday with relatives so we didn’t worry about a tree of our own, but this year we’re anticipating being at home), so I may have to look into that :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In case you guys have not seen this year‘s Hallmark Star Trek ornaments, they’ve gone a little over the top. Usually they have a starship from one of the series or films. And sometimes they have the characters as figures. I have not bought this year‘s ornaments yet. The theme is Mirror Mirror with the Prime Kirk, Sulu and Uhura. And a tree topper that’s the Enterprise. The thing though it’s very expensive as the tree topper is rigged with lights and are connected to the figures who also play sound bites from Mirror Mirror.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just put up our tree tonight. I put up several of my Star Trek ornaments as well. I have so many.

I kind of stopped a while back. Just too costly. I did pick up the Franklin on clearance a few years ago though.

I hope they do more ornaments from the classic trek films and I even think an enterprise from the animated series would be fun.

I love the interactive ornaments for this year and the tree topper but they cost way too much to even consider.

My favorite ornament is still the tos enterprise one from 1991. I know it’s worth a fortune but I put it on the tree every year. Love it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
About the Delta Flyers, it’s nice of them to do these podcasts being in quarantine now, they seem to have some time. Though I find them a little frustrating. Of course it’s from their point of view. And that’s OK. what sort of bugs me is they’ve got a paid version, so via Patreon, they will give some more content, such as including comments from Kate Mulgrew on the episode, Threshold. Aside from that, they genuinely seem to be good friends and are enjoying the podcast.

I abandoned this show and Inglorious Treksperts over the summer/early fall. Neither were giving me anything I wanted anymore and the Patreon thing for DF really irritated me. If they were decide to do a warts and all show about each episode, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I got a little tired of the Inglorious Treksperts too. Mark A Altman was pushing his books a lot and he can get irritating. But I think Daren Dochterman is earnest. So I like his input. And they both really know TOS and the other series, but I got the impression they don’t like the modern shows. But yes, I’ve not listened until a few days ago when I sampled a couple of recent podcasts.

The Delta Flyers feels like a session between a couple of former coworkers who like each other and are just talking about choices they made as actors and what they did or didn’t like about the performance and experience on that episode. It is Very focused on them and less about the other cast. I rediscovered it when I saw a report on Trekmovie that they included Kate Mulgrew to talk about Threshold. I’m glad Trekmovie had a portion of the Mulgrew comments transcribed as I wasn’t interested in contributing to their Patreon.

I also discovered the Trekmovie podcast discussing the new Discovery episodes. I’m not sure I like that one yet.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I also discovered the Trekmovie podcast discussing the new Discovery episodes. I’m not sure I like that one yet.

I'm also trying that one out now. There's at least a nugget of info in there I didn't know before about Jennifer Lien and her departure from Voyager.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On Trekmovie. I have sampled to the one called All Access Star Trek. There’s another one called Shuttle Pod which I have not sampled yet. I would guess the Jennifer Lien nuggets is on the Shuttle Pod?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So the Delta Flyer podcast is one per episode? I’m wondering if it makes sense for me as a future project to download them and marry them to the video files of the episodes I have on my HTPC - instant commentary track.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
On Trekmovie. I have sampled to the one called All Access Star Trek. There’s another one called Shuttle Pod which I have not sampled yet. I would guess the Jennifer Lien nuggets is on the Shuttle Pod?

My bad...it's Weekly Trek.

There's a small convo about Voyager's 25th anniversary and a book which came out/is coming out. Apparently there's a section of the book which says Lien was becoming very unreliable and that's why she left. Which is radically different from the "we didn't know where to take the character" story lodged in my brain.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, the Delta Flyer podcast, the free version that I have listened to is not commentary during the episode. Its pretty freeform and they last about 30 to 45 minutes. Early in the podcast, they talk about the episode or whatever is on their mind, then say they are going away to watch the episode. I think the Patreon people are privy to that. Then when the episode is over, they come back for the free section and talk about it. They talk about acting choices or about how the make up on Threshold worked. So I would sample one Josh and see what you think. The first one they did for Caretaker might be more interesting. So I don’t know what happens during the episode viewing, if they actually talk.

Maybe I’ll listen to another one later today.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Pulled out my blu ray of season 2 tos today.

It would be fantastic to see 4k transfers of tos.

Watching trouble with tribbles today with my 3 sons. I always watch the enhanced effects. I never go back to the Original effects.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It would be fantastic to see 4k transfers of tos.

I’m kinda worried that the whole thing falls apart at higher resolution. At 1080p, I’m already starting to notice makeup effects and other things hidden in standard definition. I think 4K could be fine for parts of it but in other parts it could potentially make everything appear even more fake.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I've only watched a few episodes on my new 4K TV and I've already noticed more make-up seams and marks on the floor than I ever have before.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m kinda worried that the whole thing falls apart at higher resolution. At 1080p, I’m already starting to notice makeup effects and other things hidden in standard definition. I think 4K could be fine for parts of it but in other parts it could potentially make everything appear even more fake.

Perhaps. I think we will get another release in the next few years though.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've only watched a few episodes on my new 4K TV and I've already noticed more make-up seams and marks on the floor than I ever have before.
Yeah shows of the era barely hold up visually in 1080, I'd hate to see 4K.

I mean, take The Dick Van Dyke Show, for example. You can see the makeup slathered on Van Dyke in the pilot to cover a cold sore, and you can see the segments of carpet covering the living room floor. And that's just a simple suburban sitcom without all the extras of Trek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks