What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I was taking a stroll down memory lane today and came across my ViewMaster of Star Trek. I had forgotten that the one image in space was done, apparently, just for the ViewMaster, as those models have no lights and don't look at all like a production shot (there are no credits for where this was done or by whom). Unfortunately, the episode is "The Omega Glory", among my least favorites. The on-set images, however, have a nice 3D effect.

VM_ST001.jpg

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I still have my ST View Master packet. As a kid I never could figure out how they made shots from a ST episode actually 3D. Then when I got older I realized they were actually there and took the shots on set or location. I always lamented it was THAT episode, one of my least favorite. But it's still really fun to look at from time to time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That was one of the script onlines submitted to NBC when they greenlit a second pilot. Roddenberry did love that story but I think it’s one of the weaker stories he came up with. The frequent “parallel worlds” premises weren’t one of Trek’s strongest and I usually feel like I’m being hit over the head by the writers when I watch one. I think they were better off when they used situations and worlds that were clearly allegorical to what was happening in the real world at the time of production, without the crutch of “their civilizations would have been the exact same as ours.”

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I loved "The Omega Glory" as a kid. Still one of my favorites. Wall to wall action. Captain Ron Tracy was Bad Ass! One of Kirk's best adversaries.
6fd6285dc999e51da1ae5ae87ef23bfc--ron.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There’s a new book on voyager that is just out. May have to pick that one up.

I’ve never been a big fan of the animated series (my set is still in shrink wrap?) but is the new book about the show a good read?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
One more thought. I really wish paramount would release the
Multi part documenatary (as a stand alone disc or digital release) that they did for the 50th anniversary Blu ray set too.

Star Trek: The Journey to the Silver Screen – Chapter titles,
"The New Frontier: Resurrecting Star Trek"
"Maiden Voyage: Making Star Trek: The Motion Picture"
"The Genesis Effect: Engineering The Wrath of Khan" – included as a special feature on the individual Blu-ray releases of The Wrath of Khan (Director's Cut), which, contrary to the disc included in this set, also carry the theatrical cut of the film.
"The Dream is Alive: The Continuing Mission"
"End of an Era: Charting the Undiscovered Country"

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Multi part documenatary (as a stand alone disc or digital release) that they did for the 50th anniversary Blu ray set too.

"The Genesis Effect: Engineering The Wrath of Khan" – included as a special feature on the individual Blu-ray releases of The Wrath of Khan (Director's Cut), which, contrary to the disc included in this set, also carry the theatrical cut of the film.

Were these by the same team that did the TNG and Enterprise extras?

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar

When I found disc errors in my original season sets of TOS-R, I sprang for the 50th anniversary release. I expected those documentaries to be mostly fluff, like The Roddenberry Vault. I was pleasantly surprised. They are some of the best Trek docs I have ever seen.
Were these by the same team that did the TNG and Enterprise extras?
I believe there is some overlap, but not completely. To me, THE JOURNEY TO THE SILVER SCREEN surpassed any TNG or ENT docs I saw by light years. It's become essential viewing for me before watching the TOS movies.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
When I found disc errors in my original season sets of TOS-R, I sprang for the 50th anniversary release. I expected those documentaries to be mostly fluff, like The Roddenberry Vault. I was pleasantly surprised. They are some of the best Trek docs I have ever seen.

I believe there is some overlap, but not completely. To me, THE JOURNEY TO THE SILVER SCREEN surpassed any TNG or ENT docs I saw by light years. It's become essential viewing for me before watching the TOS movies.

I’d be willing to buy just the feature and I wish they would do a stand alone release. I didn’t buy the set at the time because I had everything included in it sans the extra feature and the animated series. I ordered a region 2 Blu ray set of the animated series.

I also bought the vault set from region 2.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I never bought that 50th Anniversary set that includes the Star Trek TOS and TAS Blu Rays and the film series. I also already have all those so I wasn’t sure the documentaries are worth it. I’ll reconsider!

Maybe it’s a good day to watch Charlie X, Happy Thanksgiving.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I remember WPIX having terrible prints with very random slices in episodes until the 1980’s upgrade. Where No Man Has Gone Before was cut at the very end cutting off Shatner’s captains log and going right to the exit music. When I watch some episodes, I still remember where they were cut.

I remember a perfect edit the local station made to "The Omega Glory." After the title was shown over the space scene, the entire bridge scene on the Exeter was cut and proceeded immediately to the Captain's Log dubbed over the shot of the two ships and the planet. What made the edit perfect was that the two space scenes were part of the same special-effects sequence and when rejoined created one continuous shot. Unfortunately, it can't be seen today due to the new special effects.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I indulged in Charlie X as well with my thanksgiving meal. After so many decades and times I’ve watched the series and this episode, it surprised me how much the tragic ending felt like The Outer Limits kind of ending.

After indulging in so much Discovery recently, it was great to immerse again into the Original Series. :) The original series really is great.

On another note, I’ve long pondered a thought but never voiced it. In watching so much new Trek, I’ve imagined what it must be like for a young 12 or 14 year old now watching Discovery. In my day, I remember late night showings of Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe. While I was very curious to see them, they looked dated and crude compared to Star Trek TOS and of course 2001. I imagine this is the case for the young people today to look back on Star Trek TOS. Except I hope they can still see the imagination and depth of stories beyond the perhaps dated visuals of the series. I still think the original designs are great. But I get the updated designs of the new shows. I even like the new gold, blue and red uniforms of Pike‘s Enterprise. Can you imagine if they did a remake of a Balance of Terror type story with Pike in command.

Well, onward with a new Discovery episode tonight.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
On the subject of random slices I remember some that I became aware of when the "Fotonovels" came out. I can remember the 70s print of "City On The Edge Of Forever" eliminated McCoy's encounter with the wino (which ends with him accidentally killing himself with McCoy's phaser) and cut from him emerging to him stumbling into the Mission later (the Fotonovel didn't recreate McCoy's meandering "needles and sutures" monologue).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A quick side note, I indulged in a few more of the Delta Flyers podcasts as Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeal discuss each episode in airing order after they’ve viewed it. Since I’m watching DS9 now, I’ve past episodes of DS9 where Voyager had already been airing alongside. So I’ve been meaning to start watching a few Voyager episodes. I’d seen the first 4 already and thought it’s be fun to do it and to hear the podcast. My plan was to finish DS9 before moving onto Voyager, but I might sneak a few more in.

It’s such a contrast to DS9. And again, it’s interesting to view that era of Star Trek contrasting with the new current Star Trek. Of course, I’ve seen Voyager several times already, more so then DS9, so there are DS9 episodes I don’t recall the endings to.

About the Delta Flyers, it’s nice of them to do these podcasts being in quarantine now, they seem to have some time. Though I find them a little frustrating. Of course it’s from their point of view. And that’s OK. what sort of bugs me is they’ve got a paid version, so via Patreon, they will give some more content, such as including comments from Kate Mulgrew on the episode, Threshold. Aside from that, they genuinely seem to be good friends and are enjoying the podcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks