Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Until the CED discs came along, I hadn't seen any Star Trek since about 1976 or so. Until that time, WLEX-18 in Lexington, KY aired them on a M/W/F at 4:30pm schedule, and stopped at some point after that summer (probably when the Fall season started). I was only about six years old, so my memories of seeing them as a kid were hazy. LEX brought the show back for a little while in the early '80s... in a 2 or 3 a.m. late Saturday/early Sunday slot! I wanted to see the show badly enough, though, I can remember setting the alarm clock to get up and watch (my Mom watched with some, too). I do remember one night, though, that I suddenly woke up late in the middle of the basement floor in front of the TV, but it wasn't on. I had no memory of getting there, so I must've gotten up to see the show, and promptly went back to sleep before switching on!

When the 'Paramount-supplied' edits became available, cross-town competitor WKYT-27 put the show in another late-Saturday slot, but it wasn't quite that late. I think their line-up that night (after the local news) was Tales from the Darkside, followed by Trek.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I saw the series in the original run, but in black and white. My cousin, who lived across town, had that most rare of animals, a colour TV! We walked for miles and showed up at his door to see an episode — it was the one where a conference was going on with many different aliens. We were hoping he would become a fan, but he thought it was the stupidest show he had ever seen. My friends and I enjoyed it however, even though his TV had a peculiar completely round screen which felt like you were looking through a port hole.

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I was lucky to live in Philadelphia where in the early 70s, when STAR TREK was really taking off in syndication, the Philly station WKBS-TV (Kaiser Broadcasting), Channel 48 aired the entire series in order at 7 PM and fully uncut - with just the limited commercial slots. Their prints were pretty good and that channel had a really decent film chain, so the episode looked and sounded great. I remember going up to New York for one of those early STAR TREK conventions and hearing horror stories from WPIX viewers about the horrible editing of their STAR TREKs.

View attachment 78723

After much of the 70s on WKBS, the STAR TREK syndication package was picked up by rival UHF station WPHL-TV 17. Well, I can tell you that the picture looked awful. Everything that one can say bad about crappy 16mm prints applied to these STAR TREK episodes. Spock was green, but so were Kirk and Bones! And if you messed with the hue, everything turned pinky-purple. Awful stuff.

I was dismayed because in 1978 I got an early VHS VCR and wanted to assemble my own STAR TREK collection of at least favorite episodes, and all I had to record from was that awful channel 17.
I was so sad when channel 48 went off the air.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was so sad when channel 48 went off the air.
Did Combat! play on that channel too? My old man still talks about getting to see and record that show on Channel 48 decades ago.

I think WPIX was my introduction to The Twilight Zone. I remember seeing marathons of episodes that are still seared into my brain (Nightmare At 20,000 Feet, The Midnight Sun, The Masks, The Invaders, The Hitch-Hiker).

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Now that you ask the question, I think COMBAT! did run on channel 48. I've never been a fan of the show, so it would have gone without notice to me, but I vaguely recall it from reading TV Guides.

• Appreciate
Reactions: TravisR

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Here's a piece of video I found on an old VHS tape that has the very end of a STAR TREK episode ("All Our Yesterdays") with commercials as shown on Channel 48. It's followed by the start of the animated series episode "The Infinite Vulcan". The two episodes did not run in tandem that way, but that's the way I recorded them on that old VHS tape. The print of TOS looked semi-decent, a little dirty, but the animated show looks totally green! Enjoy the commercials!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that video. I wished I had a VHS machine back then to video tape the episodes! That must have been 1981 or so? I checked on the dates that Whoopsie doll was made and it was 1978 to 1982. It’s pretty cool to look back at the time.

Reactions: Osato and Harry-N

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I used to tape my favourites and sit in front of the TV with the wired remote in my hand ready to pause when a commercial started.

l once had the entire run of “Soap” with all the commercials and “what happened last weeks” removed so it played like one long show.

Reactions: Osato

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Here's a piece of video I found on an old VHS tape that has the very end of a STAR TREK episode ("All Our Yesterdays") with commercials as shown on Channel 48. It's followed by the start of the animated series episode "The Infinite Vulcan". The two episodes did not run in tandem that way, but that's the way I recorded them on that old VHS tape. The print of TOS looked semi-decent, a little dirty, but the animated show looks totally green! Enjoy the commercials!

Any season 1 episodes from this era with the electric violin main/end titles?

Reactions: Osato

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott

I absolutely love this. It looks like a decent print, but the reel change "circles" make it earlier than the 80's prints the VHS tapes were drawn from. Unless I'm totally wrong and since I'm just a fan with zero connections- that's always a distinct possibility. The markets outside NY sound like they had better prints than WPIX which were run into the ground. They probably had the same reels since 1969 until the switch.

Love the period commercials.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Geez, I remember now that I tried to get VHS copies off-air of the animated series. TV Guide never listed the details of the episodes for cartoons, so it was a crap-shoot as to which episode was being run. And it seems like every time I set a timer for one of the animated shows, I'd come home to find "The Infinite Vulcan" or "The Magicks Of Megas-Tu".

Museum Pieces

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Skylar
I removed the gaps and disjointed transitions from 66 TOS-R episodes. I increased the audio gain in each episode anywhere from 2-12db (nearly every episode is in the mud). I removed all CBS logos from the end and replaced them with Desilu logos. I converted annoying stereo (the neural neutralizer, for example) to mono. I replaced the TOS-R opening theme music of WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE using the instrumental version with the electric violin. I numbered episodes in production order (something I enjoy about the single-disc DVD releases).

I gave the royal treatment to all but 14 episodes. Turns out my least favorite TOS episodes are:

Miri
The Alternative Factor
Catspaw
Friday’s Child
The Changeling
The Apple
The Omega Glory
And The Children Shall Lead
Spock’s Brain
The Empath
Let This Be Your last Battlefield
Mark of the Gideon
Lights of Zetar
Way to Eden

I’ll give those episodes my special treatment next time I watch them, but am tuckered out for now. I ended up doing more fix-it work than I planned, but am extremely happy with the results.

I had a great time watching Star Trek again. I’d forgotten how much I love many of the early episodes featuring Uhura, Riley and Rand. There's a nice feeling of community and love on the ship in several of those early episodes.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirb-dog