Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I have tried researching this, but... For those familiar with the music of Star Trek, I just love the score for the STNG episode "The Enemy" from Season 3. Is that score on CD anywhere? Thank you so much, google etc have been no help with this today.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting question Kevin. The Enemy is one of my favorite TNG episodes. At first I thought the score would be by Ron Jones as it was the period he was composing for TNG. And The Defector is another favorite episode and Jones did write that score. So I figured the score would be in the Ron Jones box set that Film Score Monthly released. But I see the score is by Dennis McCarthy. I can’t claim to know the music as well on TNG as TOS.

I think I own every CD set of Star Trek music and I don’t see The Enemy score in any of the releases. Makes me wonder if the music was tracked from another episode. Or it was not released yet from the La La Land series of TNG releases.

I’m going have to revisit the episode to remind me of the score.

Reactions: KPmusmag

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Around 1984, Paramount sent out pre-edited 45 minute versions of the episodes to American tv stations replacing the prints stations were using. So generally everyone had the same upgraded quality prints with the same cuts.
I thought I read somewhere that the theme tune change on the First Season episodes happened with a 1978 resyndication where new prints were struck to replace the almost 10-year-old ones. I would assume this was when the 1978 copyright date got added to the Desilu slide at the end, to avoid the series falling into the public domain. Indeed, there were people selling duplicated 16mm episodes of Star Trek claiming public doman, which led Paramount to properly register the series in 1978.

I can't imagine they would've waited until 1984 to get that copyright notice out there on the prints. I have the six CED videodiscs (at least some of which were produced before 1984), but no longer have a working player. I'm pretty sure at least some of those early Paramount 2-fer tapes were also issued pre-1984. Maybe someone could verify if the 1978 copyright appears there? My foggy memory of the CEDs says "yes", because I always wondered "why 1978, and not 1960-something?".

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Yes the VHS copies of episodes that were released in 1980 have the 1978 copyright notice. These are older prints, much darker than the later which had the brightness/contrast dialed up. It’s also a flatter sound mix. When I saw the restored prints, I just assumed that was the most recent time they renewed the copyright. I don’t think it has any bearing on when the standardized the first season opening theme. All I have to go on is my own memory, but I do remember vividly being very surprised that The Man Trap had the Fred Steiner arrangement when the new prints were first aired on WPIX and WVIA. I would have been about 10 in 1978 and wouldn’t have noticed that change of it happened then.

Reactions: Neil S. Bulk

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing "The Menagerie, part 2" on WPIX when we got our satellite dish in Christmas 1984 (before they started using the Paramount-supplied versions) and I notice it was in really, really bad shape. Perhaps they were still using the really old prints and never got the re-struck 1978 ones?

Looks like we're about the same age (I was 10 in 1979).

Reactions: Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Yes the VHS copies of episodes that were released in 1980 have the 1978 copyright notice. These are older prints, much darker than the later which had the brightness/contrast dialed up. It’s also a flatter sound mix. When I saw the restored prints, I just assumed that was the most recent time they renewed the copyright. I don’t think it has any bearing on when the standardized the first season opening theme. All I have to go on is my own memory, but I do remember vividly being very surprised that The Man Trap had the Fred Steiner arrangement when the new prints were first aired on WPIX and WVIA. I would have been about 10 in 1978 and wouldn’t have noticed that change of it happened then.
Do you recall which episodes had the electric violin version?

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I remember seeing "The Menagerie, part 2" on WPIX when we got our satellite dish in Christmas 1984 (before they started using the Paramount-supplied versions) and I notice it was in really, really bad shape. Perhaps they were still using the really old prints and never got the re-struck 1978 ones?

Looks like we're about the same age (I was 10 in 1979).
I’ll be 53 in December. Yeah we were watching Star Trek at the same time and channel.

I remember WPIX having terrible prints with very random slices in episodes until the 1980’s upgrade. Where No Man Has Gone Before was cut at the very end cutting off Shatner’s captains log and going right to the exit music. When I watch some episodes, I still remember where they were cut.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’ll be 53 in December. Yeah we were watching Star Trek at the same time and channel.

I remember WPIX having terrible prints with very random slices in episodes until the 1980’s upgrade. Where No Man Has Gone Before was cut at the very end cutting off Shatner’s captains log and going right to the exit music. When I watch some episodes, I still remember where they were cut.
That was me too. Same age, same channel. Star Trek was part of my afternoon every day circa 1975-76. Maybe ‘74. I also watched TAS in its original run.

Reactions: ScottRE

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I'll also be celebrating my birthday in December. It'll be my 51st.

I had the CED of "The Menagerie" and knew it inside-out, so I was very alarmed at the huge cuts made to the episode on WPIX (and the poor condition of the print). Some people didn't like all the edits on the Paramount-supplied tapes, but at least those cuts were a few seconds here, a few seconds there. The cuts WPIX made to the 16mm prints were, for the sake of the guy cutting the film, whole scenes, not just random bits in various places. There were very few TV stations who would've shown a full-length episode at that time, so this was actually good for everybody. The full-length VHS tapes were coming out soon, anyway, for those (like me) who wanted them.

I remember being quite pleased when WPIX retired the battered Star Trek prints and brought back Space: 1999 to take over that late-night slot for awhile. Much as I liked Trek, I hadn't seen 1999 since the original run (and would've seen it as such a young age to not remember it well), so I really appreciated getting to see some episodes again, as the show wasn't particularly well-syndicated by that time. Didn't get to watch it a whole lot (as this was at midnight or later, and most weeknights were "school nights"), but I remember getting to at least watch "End of Eternity" (which was maybe in worse condition than the Trek 16mms) from Year One, and "Seed of Destruction" (yay!) and "Brian the Brain" (boo!) from Year Two. There may have been a few more (probably not), but those stand out.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't recall the state of the prints that WPIX showed -- of course, that could be because 1) we didn't have a great TV in my house and had only gotten color in 1973, and 2) I was badly in need of glasses in 1974 and got my first pair in 1975.

I started watching again in college, circa 1986, when PIX was showing Star Trek at 11 pm. It was the best way to end a night of studying, and something I looked forward to all day.

Reactions: ScottRE

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I'll also be celebrating my birthday in December. It'll be my 51st.

I had the CED of "The Menagerie" and knew it inside-out, so I was very alarmed at the huge cuts made to the episode on WPIX (and the poor condition of the print). Some people didn't like all the edits on the Paramount-supplied tapes, but at least those cuts were a few seconds here, a few seconds there. The cuts WPIX made to the 16mm prints were, for the sake of the guy cutting the film, whole scenes, not just random bits in various places. There were very few TV stations who would've shown a full-length episode at that time, so this was actually good for everybody. The full-length VHS tapes were coming out soon, anyway, for those (like me) who wanted them.

I remember being quite pleased when WPIX retired the battered Star Trek prints and brought back Space: 1999 to take over that late-night slot for awhile. Much as I liked Trek, I hadn't seen 1999 since the original run (and would've seen it as such a young age to not remember it well), so I really appreciated getting to see some episodes again, as the show wasn't particularly well-syndicated by that time. Didn't get to watch it a whole lot (as this was at midnight or later, and most weeknights were "school nights"), but I remember getting to at least watch "End of Eternity" (which was maybe in worse condition than the Trek 16mms) from Year One, and "Seed of Destruction" (yay!) and "Brian the Brain" (boo!) from Year Two. There may have been a few more (probably not), but those stand out.
I do remember Space:1999 coming back in the late night hours and loving it. It was a favorite series and even with the truly crummy prints, or maybe because of it, the show played very creepy to me late at night. End of Eternity was the one I remember the most as being unnerving. Force of Life was another. I also remember enjoying the second season episodes like The Metamorph and Journey to Where.

“Coming Up Next…Space:1999!” with the PIX jingle music and a “clip in a box” from New Adam, New Eve. Whether that’s from the run you remember or another later in the night broadcast, I’m not sure.

WPIX in the early-mid-80’s represented some of my best memories of TV. I had a hard time in High School, so my escape was WPIX. I really wish I still had all of the VHS tapes from those days. YouTube is great for commercials and stuff, but having the actual broadcasts would be a nice trip.

Reactions: Sam Favate

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I do remember Space:1999 coming back in the late night hours and loving it. It was a favorite series and even with the truly crummy prints, or maybe because of it, the show played very creepy to me late at night. End of Eternity was the one I remember the most as being unnerving.
Yes, as you say, very, very poor-condition print, but also, very unnerving and creepy.

“Coming Up Next…Space:1999!” with the PIX jingle music and a “clip in a box” from New Adam, New Eve. Whether that’s from the run you remember or another later in the night broadcast, I’m not sure.
Actually, the way I remember the voice-over was "Eleven's Alive with Space:1999...Next!" It had the "clip in a box" from "New Adam", as you said, and the "11Alive" logo.

I really wish I still had all of the VHS tapes from those days. YouTube is great for commercials and stuff, but having the actual broadcasts would be a nice trip.
It's a shame I didn't keep the off-air VHS tapes I had of 1999. Once I got hold of the uncut prerecorded tapes from England, I ditched all my old, second-generation LP-speed VHS tapes I'd acquired from a video trader. Most were uncut from PBS station KPTS, so they were pretty much redundant, but I had a few episodes from that 1985 WPIX run, with commercials included. I had "End of Eternity" and "Bringers of Wonder" for sure, maybe another one or two. I remember the commercials including Carvel (with Fudgie the Whale and Cookie-Puss), Crazy Eddie's, and Judy from Time-Life Books (Civil War, I think). Oh, and the guy who sold windows who looked like he was wearing a bad toupee. I'm a little nostalgic (now) for those ads, too. Furiously fast-fowarded through them when I watched the tapes back in '87, though.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Actually, the way I remember the voice-over was "Eleven's Alive with Space:1999...Next!" It had the "clip in a box" from "New Adam", as you said, and the "11Alive" logo.
You're probably right, I may be juxtaposing two different eras and shows. I do remember the usic and the clip though, so thanks for backing me up on that.

It's a shame I didn't keep the off-air VHS tapes I had of 1999. Once I got hold of the uncut prerecorded tapes from England, I ditched all my old, second-generation LP-speed VHS tapes I'd acquired from a video trader. Most were uncut from PBS station KPTS, so they were pretty much redundant, but I had a few episodes from that 1985 WPIX run, with commercials included. I had "End of Eternity" and "Bringers of Wonder" for sure, maybe another one or two. I remember the commercials including Carvel (with Fudgie the Whale and Cookie-Puss), Crazy Eddie's, and Judy from Time-Life Books (Civil War, I think). Oh, and the guy who sold windows who looked like he was wearing a bad toupee. I'm a little nostalgic (now) for those ads, too. Furiously fast-fowarded through them when I watched the tapes back in '87, though.
This is great info and YouTube is populated with local people who saved that stuff. The daytime commercials are great too. Jimmy Randolph from Albert Merrill School, The Milford Plaza (the LullaBUY of Broadway), promos for Tom and Jerry... Found all of that stuff. I'm hugely nostalgic for those days sometimes. Every Thanksgiving, I watch King Kong, Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young with 1981 commercials put in from the WOR Holiday Movie Special. Not a sports guy, so instead I recreate the line up from the days when my parents, uncles and aunts were still alive and together.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I was lucky to live in Philadelphia where in the early 70s, when STAR TREK was really taking off in syndication, the Philly station WKBS-TV (Kaiser Broadcasting), Channel 48 aired the entire series in order at 7 PM and fully uncut - with just the limited commercial slots. Their prints were pretty good and that channel had a really decent film chain, so the episode looked and sounded great. I remember going up to New York for one of those early STAR TREK conventions and hearing horror stories from WPIX viewers about the horrible editing of their STAR TREKs.

WKBSStarTrek.jpg

After much of the 70s on WKBS, the STAR TREK syndication package was picked up by rival UHF station WPHL-TV 17. Well, I can tell you that the picture looked awful. Everything that one can say bad about crappy 16mm prints applied to these STAR TREK episodes. Spock was green, but so were Kirk and Bones! And if you messed with the hue, everything turned pinky-purple. Awful stuff.

I was dismayed because in 1978 I got an early VHS VCR and wanted to assemble my own STAR TREK collection of at least favorite episodes, and all I had to record from was that awful channel 17.

Reactions: Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kagy