Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I had something like that but I was never able to get it complete - WPIX would announce they’d be running Trek in a certain configuration and each time they’d give up and play it in a different way before finishing the last attempt, so I had most but not all in my taped-off-TV collection.

Reactions: ScottRE

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Those promos are amazing to see. They would have been great supplements on the blu-rays.
I agree. My dream Trek release is the series on Blu Ray with the original effects, correct scene editing, night of original broadcast audio track, proper main and end credit music for the first season, correct Paramount logos at the last half of season 2, sponsor tags and NBC billboards, promos, commercials and whatever appearances the stars did on other shows to promote. You know, the Twilight Zone treatment.

Then the show went off for a while (oh no!), but then returned on channel 5 looking glorious. That was about 1984 I believe. I remember scrounging money to buy enough VHS tapes to record them all at SP speed (2 per tape). Ugh. It was a chore to keep up, but I was glad I did. I was going to buy the laserdiscs but the first one I bought was "City on the Edge of Forever" and I was so annoyed by the music replacement I didn't buy any more of them.
Yeah 84 or 85, I remember when WPIX in New York made the announcement that "the Enterprise was being drydocked for refitting" or something cheesy like that and I was so upset over it being off the air - probably for the first time since 1969. But WPIX was literally wearing those prints way the heck out.

Once they were all switched over to the tapes, 16mm reels were being tossed and collectors snatched them up. For a while, in the late 90's, you could get soooooo many 16mm prints of your favorite shows. I had dozens from eBay for a steal. I still have a few but not like I once had.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I was nearly divorced/defenestrated for ordering the complete VHS set a year ago, one can only imagine the mortal danger I’d be in if I started collecting 16mm versions. Were space and cost not an issue, I’d be into that.

I have a huge media library. I have no regrets on that. But at the end of the day, if I had to choose only a few things that I could keep, give me the Treks, the Twilight Zones, Twin Peaks, the Walt Disney Treasures tins and the W.C. Fields films and I could probably be just fine. And a bunch of Trek, TZ and Fields on 16mm would be enough for me to call it a day and be satisfied if I ever was able to do that.

I really would like those half dozen or so episodes that came out on VHS first with different transfers from the more popular releases. I still check eBay periodically for those but no dice yet. Lately I’ve seen some bootleg taped-off-TV-pretending-to-be-public-domain copies of Trek episodes on eBay which really has to fall into the “why even bother listing that?” category.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I had something like that but I was never able to get it complete - WPIX would announce they’d be running Trek in a certain configuration and each time they’d give up and play it in a different way before finishing the last attempt, so I had most but not all in my taped-off-TV collection.
You and I had the same Trek source. In the 80’s I also taped them of WVIA 44 in PA thanks to Cablevision carrying the channel. They ran 3 episodes back to back on Saturday nights from 11:30 -1 am. No commercials (except fundraising) but they swapped out uncut prints for the Paramount pre-edited tapes right after I discovered the station. It didn’t make any sense to me at the time...running edited episodes on a commercial free station. I didn’t realize they just ran what they were given.

WVIA also ran uncut Lost In Space on Saturday mornings. Mid 80’s man. What a time.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wow! You must have the most understanding significant other. I’d be up to my armpits in obsolete media, if I didn’t make the choice years ago to let the new formats replace the old. After replacing or dubbing on to DVD-R, all my VHS and Betas were donated, my records were also replaced or dubbed on to CD and sold. After having a huge collection of both, I don’t have any at all now, though I still have all the content.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Wow! You've got those three volumes of two-fer's done in the early days of home video. I got rid of my VHS when I "upgraded" to laser disc. I kept my Columbia House VHS copy of "Journey To Babel". It's signed by Mark Lenard. I also kept my CH "Encounter At Farpoint". It has the syndicated two part version.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Well, yeah, I do have a pretty cool wife, but to be fair, the VHS tapes take up one shelf in the closet, the laserdisc and indie DVDs take up another and that one spinner rack is the final VHS set. It's not that much room TBH.

Having said that, she knows for Star Trek, I have a sentimental attachment. Certain shows get eye-rolls, but understanding, like the Irwin Allen stuff, Space:1999 and a few others. She just knows that's where my collector passion lies. And for a while, she was hutning down 16mm prints FOR me.

She has her own collectibles, so it's all good. While she may not understand why I still have my VHS copies of 16mm prints of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, she accepts it. :D

Reactions: B-ROLL

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Wow! You've got those three volumes of two-fer's done in the early days of home video. I got rid of my VHS when I "upgraded" to laser disc. I kept my Columbia House VHS copy of "Journey To Babel". It's signed by Mark Lenard. I also kept my CH "Encounter At Farpoint". It has the syndicated two part version.
I like to have the various released of Trek a) for completion's sake and b) to keep track of the changes in the audio mix and see how the video was futzed with over the years.

VHS release one (limited run releases): original prints, apparently.
VHS release two (complete series) brightness/contrast pumped way up. Sound was mixed into "Stereo."
DVD: fairly well restored broadcast prints. Hugely screwed with sound mix (if the original mono mix was on these, I'd have been thrilled).
Blu Ray: reconstructed from camera negatives, pumped up color, weird sound mix being passed off as original mono, some edits to various episodes not seen before (no, I don't have a list)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I kept the laser discs because I hated the DVD audio. I made some CD-R audio discs of some years ago. Converted them to mp3. Still a fun listen.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I watched Star Trek on a 13" B&W TV for most of the 70's and into the 80's. I live in Northern Kentucky and there was a station in Dayton, OH that aired 4 hours of Star Trek every Sunday, uncut. Only TV we had that picked up that channel was that small set. I had no idea how bad the prints were back then.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And we didn’t care anyway. Lousy signal with an aerial on a small screen? Loved every second of it
I didn't realize just how "bad" off-air TV looked until I started working in broadcast in the late 70s and saw things on direct network feeds on proper studio monitors. Even those beat up 16mm prints looked far better in the studio than at home.

Reactions: B-ROLL

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Thanks for all the reminiscences! Fun to read and the pics of collections are awesome.

Bob O'Link - if you would indulge me a small digression from Star Trek, since you have experience at a TV station. I am curious about two things: (which hopefully someone else will find interesting as well)

1. When scope films were shown in 16mm, did they come with the squeeze requiring an anamorphic lens, or did they come cropped? (I recall often the character talking was not visible because they were out of frame, indicating no pan & scan - and sometimes the opening titles were squeezed so they would not be cut off, but other times they were just cut off. And, rarely, the whole movie was squeezed).

2. What device received the image from the 16mm projector - telecine?

Thank you!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks for all the reminiscences! Fun to read and the pics of collections are awesome.

Bob O'Link - if you would indulge me a small digression from Star Trek, since you have experience at a TV station. I am curious about two things: (which hopefully someone else will find interesting as well)

1. When scope films were shown in 16mm, did they come with the squeeze requiring an anamorphic lens, or did they come cropped? (I recall often the character talking was not visible because they were out of frame, indicating no pan & scan - and sometimes the opening titles were squeezed so they would not be cut off, but other times they were just cut off. And, rarely, the whole movie was squeezed).

2. What device received the image from the 16mm projector - telecine?

Thank you!
Everything we received was already cropped for 4:3.

Yes, a telecine (at that facility they called it a "film chain"). That's an interesting device. Ours had a 16mm film projector and slide projector attached with space for a 3rd device. When I started there they had 2 16mm projectors with the 2nd being phased out a few years later (although they still aired lots of film programs). There was a button you pressed which flipped the mirror from one to the other - another "fun" thing to do if you had a slide based commercial (audio came from a standard audio cart which was played manually and script which indicated where in the audio to change the slide to the next) in a filmed program. If you were so unlucky to have one or more of those in a commercial break between filmed programs after that 2nd projector was removed you either needed someone to change the reels or involved the engineer to dub those commercials to tape *before* your filmed program began. In those days we did commercial production out of the "preview" bus of the switcher and audio console while "line" had live programming. Yes - you sometimes messed up and put the commercial production on the air.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Everything we received was already cropped for 4:3.

Yes, a telecine (at that facility they called it a "film chain"). That's an interesting device. Ours had a 16mm film projector and slide projector attached with space for a 3rd device. When I started there they had 2 16mm projectors, with the 2nd mainly for news as only one had sound (mag stripe or optical). There was a button you pressed which flipped the mirror from one to the other - another "fun" thing to do if you had a slide based commercial (audio came from a standard audio cart which was played manually and script which indicated where in the audio to change the slide to the next) in a filmed program. If you were so unlucky to have one or more of those in a commercial break between filmed programs you either needed someone to change the reels or involved the engineer to dub those commercials to tape *before* your filmed program began. In those days we did commercial production out of the "preview" bus of the switcher and audio console while "line" had live programming. Yes - you sometimes messed up and put the commercial production on the air.
Thanks so much! Very interesting and it sounds a little like walking on a tightrope.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks so much! Very interesting and it sounds a little like walking on a tightrope.
Very much so... I've produced/directed commercials running audio, the video switcher, and character generator by myself while giving instructions to a camera operator for some inserts all while also serving as the master control operator. It was a huge relief when they finally split production from master control with separate audio/video/cg facilities while adding a dedicated master control operator.

Reactions: B-ROLL and KPmusmag

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
That doesn't sound right to me. The first time this show was re-mixed was for the DVD releases which started coming out in 1999.
VHS release two (complete series) brightness/contrast pumped way up. Sound was mixed into "Stereo."
He may be referring to the early 90's VHS release by Paramount. I never bought them myself, so I'm just guessing on the audio content.
Picture 016.jpg

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlramS