Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This is a bit far afield. Today I got the weekly "videos suggested for you" from amazon prime. One of them was a link for a game show from the 1970s called Tattletales. I didn't remember ever seeing the show, I was curious, so I clicked on a random episode and William Shatner and his wife were guests. It gets old pretty quick, but an interesting artifact nonetheless. He is not at all Kirk here. FWIW

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/det...494509630_SH_3_TV+shows+we+think+youll+like_2

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is a bit far afield. Today I got the weekly "videos suggested for you" from amazon prime. One of them was a link for a game show from the 1970s called Tattletales. I didn't remember ever seeing the show, I was curious, so I clicked on a random episode and William Shatner and his wife were guests. It gets old pretty quick, but an interesting artifact nonetheless. He is not at all Kirk here. FWIW

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/det...494509630_SH_3_TV+shows+we+think+youll+like_2
Yeah, Tattletales was less game show and more "celebrities gossip about themselves", but it was sill a fun show.

You may want to see if any of their Match Game episodes have Shatner. I think he was on Match Game 74 or 75. I've seen those episodes on Buzzr recently, and Match Game 7X was definitely a more entertaining watch than Tattletales.

Of course, Sony owns the really fun Shatner stuff... $20,000 Pyramid. I think he did a week versus Leonard Nimoy at one point. But, Game Show Network doesn't air the good game shows any longer, and Buzzr is Fremantle-owned, so Pyramid's in the vault.

Reactions: KPmusmag

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I’ve seen a few episodes of Tattletales on Buzzr too. Though I didn’t watch them in their entirety. I see there are YouTube videos of Shatner’s and Marcy Lafferty’s appearances on that show. I do remember him on the $20,000 Pyramid with Leonard Nimoy. Those were fun appearances. Haven’t seen them in ages!

On a related note, I don’t usually look at gossip on line, but doing a quick web search on Shatner and Lafferty lead to a story where he was criticized by a fan on Twitter for the March Star Trek II appearance because of the Covid 19 situation. He said he was under contract at the time and had to do the appearance. Since then he’s been in lock down. Seems like a difficult situation at the time and the outbreak was still in the early stages. I keep seeing his commercials now where he’s pitching the SoClean CPAP cleaner. It was cool he did a PSA with SoClean to stay safe during this difficult time.

Also related, it’s interesting now that so many Star Trek events are now on-line. I’ll bet that the big Las Vegas Star Trek Convention in August will be cancelled and or delayed. It would be much cooler if they did it on-line. It would be so much easier on everyone.

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought I'd bring this up for discussion here, rather than in the TV thread, but how does everyone feel about the announcement of Strange New Worlds? And the description of the series as closer in tone to the original series' episodic style, with only characterization being handled in a serialized manner?

I think it's the perfect way to handle it. It's absolutely what I think most fans want from a show like this. Yes, it does sound similar to TOS, but maybe that's what we need right now. And Pike is a different enough character from Kirk that the tone he sets will be different.

Personally, I am thrilled by the announcement of this show. Ever since DS9 was in production and it was announced that a fourth series would be made, I hoped for a show set on Pike's Enterprise. (As much as I liked it, Enterprise was a prequel which is what I wanted but it wasn't Pike's ship.) Throw in the strong cast that we saw in season 2 of Discovery, and this show has a lot of potential. I can't wait.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm reservedly excited about "Strange New Worlds." I've heard good things about the cast and, if done like they say they're going to do it, expecting a true "classic" Trek feel and hoping they'll show design aesthetics in keeping with the pre-TOS era/look while updating appropriately.

Like you, I'd hoped for this when we got Enterprise - and I do like Enterprise.

I'm not that much of a TNG fan so didn't bother with the free All Access sub to watch it or STD. I just can't get behind STD (in all fairness, I've not finished S1 and have never seen S2) as the serialized story and characters (almost all of them) just don't work for me - at least in the timeline they claim it's set (Kelvin is OK - TOS is not - but even in the Kelvin timeline I'm still not that enthusiastic over the program, much like with those films). I enjoy serialized stories for some things - Star Trek isn't one of them. Multi-part stories and those having "consequence" for following episodes do work. But I was never bothered by stories in TOS, "City on the Edge of Forever" being a frequently cited example, that had tremendous impact on a crew member but was never mentioned again. That's just how most story telling in the 60s was done.

So... I'm hoping "Strange New Worlds" will be on broadcast and not locked behind the All Access paywall, but expecting it to be paywalled.

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I am very excited about Strange New Worlds. I was a massive proponent of Anson Mount as Pike in Discovery and ALWAYS loved the few episodes of TOS we got with Pike (not to mention the short lived Early Voyages comic). Episodic or serialized...I don't much care, honestly. There's room for both kinds of stories in the Trek universe.

Also very happy to have it on CBS All Access. If it's on CBS or even CW, the creators will have to pull their punches in what they can and can not show. On streaming, they can do what they want, creatively.

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've been looking forward to a Pike, Spock, Number One series since seeing the characters appear on DISCOVERY. Just having them there made me long for the good old days of the original series. I don't care if they do 60's style one-and-done adventures, serialized episodes, or a mixture of the two. Just so that it reflects the spirit of TOS moreso than other incarnations.

I can live with updated aesthetics that reflect the spirit of the original, like the uniforms that the characters wore on DISCOVERY and the Short Treks. And being on CBS All-Access is fine with me. I pay for it and enjoy the no-commercials mode for all of their series.

Reactions: Doug Wallen

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad you're all happy about this show.

I'm tired of Star Trek having to revolve around Spock and the 10 years surrounding TOS. There's no more new ideas, new worlds, new civilizations, or boldly going where no one has gone before, it's continuously Spawk Spawk Spawk and the decade around TOS.

Or, worse, whatever the hell Picard thought it was. The literary world must be in a shambles if Michael Chabon is an award winner there.

In fact, I'm tired of seeing old characters altogether and I don't care one bit where they came from or what they were doing before we first saw them. I think Angelina Jolie is an attractive woman, but I don't want to see Jon Voight's sweaty ballsack because that's where she came from (thanks, Patton!). And, Picard taught me I don't want to see them run through the meat grinder after we last saw them. Let them rest. Create something new that goes forward and doesn't have to rely on the production elbowing you every five minutes and saying "Hey, member that! member that! you loved that! And don't forget to subscribe!!!"

So, Star Trek is dead for me. Okay. I've seen it happen before with other things I enjoyed, and I'll bitch about it on the internet for a bit, get over it, and eventually chuckle at the news of the latest misstep that turns out to be a huge mistake everyone hates while corporations and producers who have no idea beyond "they like thing, let's give them generic action show with thing shoehorned into it!" keep running it into the ground.

It's how media is now since 5 companies own everything, I guess.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I wanted to chime in about my viewing of TNG during or Covid crisis. I’m still doing one episode a day And I just went through Unification 1 and 2. I had not seen it in a while and I really enjoyed it, brough back memories too of the night I first saw it with friends.

What I liked was how it felt epic. I mean while the episode is studio bound, I felt like they were traveling to so many places, Vulcan, the ship depot, Qualor 2, the bar with the fat Faranghi, and Romulus. Which is interesting is that I just read the Memory Alpha entry on these two episode and Michael Piller felt it was too talky, too much political machinations so soon after Redemption. But I liked it a lot. I liked what Spock also wanted to do, which was this old movement on Romulus that he hoped to help nurture of unifying Romulans and Vulcans. This point stuck with me on this viewing. There was a lot of great stuff going on in this two parter, the return of Sela and seeing Malachi Throne back and the Klingon opera too. This served in 1991 as a 25th Anniversary of Star Trek TOS and a tie in to Star Trek 6. I remember those days! But the underlying plot of unification I found interesting this time around. Interesting because we’ve since seen Star Trek 2009.

It occurred to me that I wondered why Nimoy would agree to do Star Trek 2009. The cynical would say the money, I don’t think Nimoy would do it unless the character is served well and it didn’t hurt the Star Trek legacy. I have not seen Star Trek 2009 in some time. So I forget what Spock’s situation was on Romulus, as I recall, he offers to help stop the super nova but wasn’t able to do so. But I forget if he was on friendly terms with the leaders of Romulus. So I suppose the ending of Unification where Spock stays on Romulus to help with unifying the two worlds was going well and could be successful, but Kurtzman and Orci decided to blow up Vulcan and destroy Romulus. I never liked that dual blow to Vulcan and Romulus. So unification won’t be happening as both worlds are trying to recover and rebuild. So if I remembered the events correctly, the Romulan sun did go super nova in the Prime Universe. But Nero blows up Vulcan in the Kelvin universe. Sort of hurts my brain to make sure I got that right.

The Romulans seemed OK in Picard though. I don’t keep track of Stardates, so I’ll have to take some time to review the chronology of events, the Romulan sun maybe hasn’t gone nova yet. The point is, I thought Unification was a really good episode. Nice way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Star Trek and promote a new Star Trek movie. So much to mine in that episode for future TNG episodes, but they chose not to follow it up.

Reactions: KPmusmag

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Osato, I haven’t seen the iTunes version of TOS, so I just tied it. I have a one year free trial of Apple TV+.

I could see the series on the Apple TV+ Section. Though I’m not sure if you’re asking to buy the series on iTunes or stream it? When I tried to play a Star Trek episode, it directed me to the CBS All Access app which I have a subscription to. its playing the remastered version with CGi effects. As for extras, I can‘t tell yet. I went back to the iTunes app within the Apple TV and found Star Trek, but it kicked me back to the CBS app. There was a button to buy the series. But I didn’t see any information about extras. I checked the iTunes Store on my computer too and I didn’t see any information on extras, yet.

Osato, I’m assuming you might already have TOS on blu ray? What I did is convert the Blu ray of the entire series to MKV format so I can stream it via Plex on my computer to an Apple TV. it’s great, I’m doing the same with TNG. And I can all add the extras.

Reactions: Osato

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Osato, I haven’t seen the iTunes version of TOS, so I just tied it. I have a one year free trial of Apple TV+.

I could see the series on the Apple TV+ Section. Though I’m not sure if you’re asking to buy the series on iTunes or stream it? When I tried to play a Star Trek episode, it directed me to the CBS All Access app which I have a subscription to. its playing the remastered version with CGi effects. As for extras, I can‘t tell yet. I went back to the iTunes app within the Apple TV and found Star Trek, but it kicked me back to the CBS app. There was a button to buy the series. But I didn’t see any information about extras. I checked the iTunes Store on my computer too and I didn’t see any information on extras, yet.

Osato, I’m assuming you might already have TOS on blu ray? What I did is convert the Blu ray of the entire series to MKV format so I can stream it via Plex on my computer to an Apple TV. it’s great, I’m doing the same with TNG. And I can all add the extras.
Thanks!

it was confirmed that the Tos iTunes digital versions do not have extras.

the films do however.

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It occurred to me that I wondered why Nimoy would agree to do Star Trek 2009. The cynical would say the money, I don’t think Nimoy would do it unless the character is served well and it didn’t hurt the Star Trek legacy.
Per Memory Alpha:

"Star Trek has Leonard Nimoy portraying his iconic role of Spock for the first time since 1991. He came out of retirement to assume the role, having given up acting in favor of photography in 2000. He later gave three explicit reasons for doing this project: the fact that it is Star Trek, his admiration for Abrams, and an "essential" and "interesting Spock role". [48] Abrams has stated that the casting of Nimoy is "critical if we're going to look at reintroducing these characters", noting that, to make this a "great film", it must "both please the fans and those who have never seen Star Trek… having Leonard in the film shows that this film exists in a continuum of Trek history, as opposed to an absolute, page 1 reinvention."

So no need to be cynical...based on what Nimoy himself said anyway.

Reactions: TravisR

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jason. I recall those reasons now that you posted them out above. He helped to validate, so to speak, these new actors in the iconic roles. like with Unification his appearance serves to link the different productions and pass the baton.

I recall Leonard Nimoy’s highly endorsing Zachary Quinto too. What I guess I was saying was that it seems like a big story element, that of a growing movement on Romulus to reunite with Vulcan was likely wiped out. Unless the surviving Romulans do find refuge with Vulcans. Thinking back on the events depicted on Star Trek Picard, Picard does try his best as well to save as many Romulans as he could. So I suppose his mind meld with Spock might have added some interest in helping Romulus. Though without Spock’s influence, I liked how throughout The Next Generations run, there was a lot of times that Picard had crossed paths with the Romulans.

At any rate, reseeing Unification brought all these questions to mind. :)

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
On my re-viewing if The Next Generation, I’ve gotten up to I, Borg. I had not seen that in many years. It grabbed me again and I’d forgotten how well they twisted the positions of the characters to go from hating the Borg Hugh to humanizing him. But it also rang a different beat for me knowing that this episode plays a part in the first season of Picard.

Reactions: Sam Favate

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
So my 3 year old son has been really into my old Star Trek book with Read along record. He likes many other books with read along record or cds too. He Particularly loves the Star Trek the motion picture and wants to listen to it often (including this morning at 6:30 AM).

The book’s read along recordings are of the story on either tape or record. They used different actors for the cast parts and narrator. None of the original Star Trek actors appear with their voices.

anyway. The reason I’m posting this is something that I can get over. The actor that reads the part of Spock (for Star Trek 1-4 stories) sounds so much like Tim Russ from Voyager.

Is this Tim Russ on the recordings?

I researched online a bit but there is little information about these records and books. Many other books from film were released in this series as well.

I’ll post a picture of the motion picture as well.
I’m sure many of you will recall these.

Attachments

Reactions: Blimpoy06

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhaibaba